3AC computers

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
cmpns8n
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel, auto, bone stock so far...

3AC computers

Post by cmpns8n »

Hey all,
Picked up an '84 Tercel 4WD, auto, 188k. This is the first car ive ever owned, always been a Toyota truck guy ('73, '83, '85) Car sat for a LONG time, but runs (poorly), and is complete. I cant wait to start working on this thing. I recently raided an '85 4WD SR5 manual in the pic n pull for the trans, flywheel, shifters, pedals, bezels, seats, cluster, headliner, 3rd member (4.10 gears). Hoping to do a manual conversion someday. I think I pulled everything I need, but just realized that the manual might have a different computer than the manual. Do I need to run back and grab it, or are they the same between the autos and manuals? Thanks in advance. Stoked to get to work, and this forum has been awesome already.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 3AC computers

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, Campin' Satan (that's how I'm reading your name, haha). Only a few members here have done the transmission conversion, the one I can think of off the top of my head is rer233. He checks in here pretty regularly but you might want to drop him a PM or email as well. Here's his profile.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2623
cmpns8n
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel, auto, bone stock so far...

Post by cmpns8n »

Awesome, thanks! I'll reach out. The car wont be smogged, so I don't need to worry about passing emissions, I just want to make sure it'll run ok.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

It might not have a computer at all. If it doesn't have an oxygen sensor, then I don't think it has a computer. I think the computer was only used on some models (like mine) with a feedback carb system. If it does have one, I don't see why there would be any difference between the autos and manuals.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is a rather simple "computer", more like a few "if-than" relay switches. I would think it would be the same one, but I doubt it would make a differnce. if you up grade to a weber carb, all of that goes away anyway.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)