Power windows / locks

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Power windows / locks

Post by JDNightFox »

I remember a thread of someone taking the hardware from another 80's toyota model and installing power windows and locks on our cars.

Is that a thing? I would like to get some if possible.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Power windows / locks

Post by dlb »

You can buy generic aftermarket power lock stuff online. I installed it on my ae95 years ago. But a word of warning, the one I installed turned out to be a POS and broke within a year. The wiring that ran to each lock motor was really, REALLY thin gauge and so brittle that it was physically breaking, just falling apart once I started investigating what was wrong with the thing. It was really frustrating because it took a fair amount of time to get it all set up. So maybe don't buy the absolute cheapest 'made in China' kit you find, like I did.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Re: Power windows / locks

Post by JDNightFox »

dlb wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 pm You can buy generic aftermarket power lock stuff online. I installed it on my ae95 years ago. But a word of warning, the one I installed turned out to be a POS and broke within a year. The wiring that ran to each lock motor was really, REALLY thin gauge and so brittle that it was physically breaking, just falling apart once I started investigating what was wrong with the thing. It was really frustrating because it took a fair amount of time to get it all set up. So maybe don't buy the absolute cheapest 'made in China' kit you find, like I did.
Good to know, lol