locked rear wheels

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Rumrumm
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 2WD wagon, mostly original, owned since new.

locked rear wheels

Post by Rumrumm »

1987 Tercel 2WD wagon. Sitting for 2 years. Ready to install a rebuilt motor & need to roll it into the driveway. Won't budge! Jacked up the front end, wheels turn smoothly. Jacked up rear end, both wheels locked up. Parking brake lever raises & lowers normally. Shop manual has zero info on the parking brake system! I planned on replacing all 3 cables during the restoration, but can I disconnect the cables in the drums to allow it to roll? Maybe lubing the cables will help. Also, just in case, anyone have part numbers for the 3 cables? Being a 2WD, are they different from the 4WD? AutoZone, Rock Auto, etc does not specify between the 2 designs, so are they the same?
Bill in Arkansas
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: locked rear wheels

Post by rer233 »

Rear parking brake cables are different right and left (also different from 4WD.) I've replaced them on FWD and 4WD cars- always got 'em from Rock Auto. Never had a problem with a front cable. Did you leave the parking brake on for the 2 years it sat? Never a good idea. Maybe if you cut the cable (and housing) real close to the backing plate it will release the shoes. Good luck!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Take the tires off and pound on the drum with a big brass, copper or lead hammer. Should break it loose. If that does not do it it's possible the bearings are froze but unlikely
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried the big hammer method, but no luck. Looks like I'll have to rebuild the rear brakes ahead of schedule just to get the chassis to roll, before even thinking about the motor. Let's see.... PB Blaster, crowbar, muscles, & patience. LOTS of patience...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

soak everything inside the brake drum in ATF, it will loosen up corrosion and make it easier to get the drum off.

it is not unusal for parking brakes to get rusted in place when a car sits with the brake on, in a damp or corrosive environment (near the water front). also check the parking brake cables are not rusted into place, the ATF should work to free that up too if you can get it inside the housing. best replace all those parts once you isolate the problem, fortunately all of these parts are still available and cheap.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

Trying your ATF suggestion today, Petros. Soaked the drum-to-backing-plate areas. I'll reapply several times, and hopefully have an update in a few days. By the way, I agree all the rear drum parts are affordable & easily attainable, except for the parking brake cables. What sellers I have found all say either theirs are AWD only, or they don't have FWD-specific, or even that they have no idea in the difference. I'll hacksaw these old ones if I have to, but I can't even find a part number source so I know exactly what to search for... Oh, I wish it were 4WD!!! Bought this new in 1987, been a great car, and I'd love to get "PJ" back on the road. 40 mpg is a strong incentive!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Rummrumm, I just looked on rockauto and they have your rear right park brake cables (RAYBESTOS BC93883 {#4642016080}). I don't see FWD wagon ones for the left though. Maybe ask rockauto for clarification on some of the others since the listings are a little confusing. If you remove yours, lay it out straight and measure it, that should help you determine if the ones for the "5-door hatchback" will work for you.

Be sure to use the rockauto discount code if you do end up buying stuff from them. There's usually an up to date code here on the forum.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I just thought of something else. Your car is an 87 but 87 is a weird overlap year when Toyota also started making the third gen Tercel's which are totally different cars. So any time you are looking for parts, say your car is an 86 so that you avoid that confusion. I had to do this a number of times for the 87's I worked on.
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

Thanks, dlb. I ordered the three cables from RockAuto. Not bad for $21.57 delivered!
I cut the right rear cable, but still no drum rotation. Also tried a sledgehammer & a propane torch. Looks like I need to source replacement assemblies from a donor 2WD. Gonna research upgrade options, too, but not much info available for us lowlife 2WD folks... :(
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Have you tried threading bolts into the face of the drums? IIRC, there are two threaded holes on the face of the drums. If you have a few of the correct size of bolts (they need to be about an inch long), you can torque them down in those and it will push the drums off.

If the shoes are pushing out and engaged against the drum when you do this, the drum will probably pull the shoes and springs and stuff off with them. Makes a mess but that's how it goes sometimes.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

David & all,

As some of you are likely aware, the bolts holding the rear door to the B pillar are the correct size/thread. When you open the rear door, it is easy (with an extension) to remove one top and one bottom for use removing the drum. Remember to put back when done :)

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

If you use the screws/holes to push drum off. I tighten the screws in increments, stopping to pound drum with brass mallet as I work them off. If shoes are stuck to drum it helps free them up keeping everything inside from getting bent out of shape.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

xirdneh wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:57 am If you use the screws/holes to push drum off. I tighten the screws in increments, stopping to pound drum with brass mallet as I work them off. If shoes are stuck to drum it helps free them up keeping everything inside from getting bent out of shape.
That's a great idea. I'm going to remember this for next time.
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

Good info, folks! Thanks!
Rumrumm

Post by Rumrumm »

Thanks to everyone! Success! Soaked the drum/backing plate "seam", wheel stud holes, and hub center in transmission fluid multiple times. Let it soak a few days. So between the sledge hammer & screwing heavy-duty Philips screws into the drum holes (too tiny for any body bolts), I have rotation! Salute!