Speedometer squeaking

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Speedometer squeaking

Post by JDNightFox »

It squeaks above 15mph and that's really annoying so I'm trying to fix it. I can't seem to find where it was discussed before but I have the gauge cluster removed and there doesn't seem to be a way to open it easily to get inside the actual speedometer. Can I just put some oil inside the speedo hole? I don't think that would work and I don't want to take it apart again
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Speedometer squeaking

Post by NWMO »

JD,

Have you lubricated the speedo cable? I have a bit of a rattle on the Rusty Frog, but I believe it is the cable.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Post by JDNightFox »

I have not, but it had no resistance to spinning when I put my car in gear and it didn't make noise when I was running it like that
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

putting oil in the back of the speedo, where the cable attaches may work. Also, I would grease or lubricate the cable as well, it gets dry and can use lubrication or the cable itself could break.

it may be internal. on one of mine when it is really cold something internally starts to rub inside the speedo, makes a scraping noise, and causes the speedo needle to go to max speed. it works with a magnet spinning close to the spindle on the needle, if it gets internally worn so something starts rubbing inside, it many not be able to be fixed. replacing the whole cluster assembly is fairly easy if you can find one.

On mine, once the passenger compartment warms up as I drive, the scraping noise goes away and it acts normal. something has so little clearance in mine, that the change in temperature causes it to just start to touch inside, where it should not be. the housing is plastic, if that is worn, there is no easy way to fix it. if it was worth more and nothing was availing, it might be worth rebuilding it and putting a precision sleeve or bushing in it (that would have to be fabricated). but that is not worth the effort since you can still buy good Tercel speedos.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)