Ignition/Steering Locked

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
forrestwilson
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Ignition/Steering Locked

Post by forrestwilson »

Hey Guys, I am new to the forum. Just picked up a 1984 sr5 4wd Tercel. It was having some pretty gross sounding starts but ran pretty well once on, so I replaced the starter. It now starts up beautifully, but every time I put the key in, it is in ignition lock. To be able to start it up, I have to jiggle the steering wheel around for a solid couple minutes until the ignition lock breaks free and I can turn the key. This usually involves the steering wheel locking up as well, causing the jiggling to be much more difficult. Are there any quick ways to get rid of the ignition lock system entirely? or at least just the steering lock? I would love to be able to just turn the key again without having to go through this process every time to start my tercel up. Thank you in advance!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Ignition/Steering Locked

Post by Petros »

Hi Forrest,

I had this issue with my first Tercel4wd, the tumblers or springs get broken and sloppy and jamb up. when you jiggle it allows them to wiggle into place. you might first try spraying some solvent into the lock to clean it out (old grease, dust, etc), and than spray some lock lubricant in it. Jiggle it and work it free, usually that is all it needs.

If that fails, the simple thing to do is remove the tumblers from the cylinder. this is easier than it sounds, remove the plastic column cover (several philips screws from the bottom) and than get the key to turn to the run or accessory position (I do not recall which). there is a metal button on the edge of the cylinder that will press in when in the right position. this will release the cylinder so you can pull it out. from there you remove the messed up tumblers and small springs. I just put the old cylinder back into the housing without the tumblers. from the outside it looks like you need a key, but you can put anything into it to turn it to start and run.

I called it my "decoy" lock. looks like a regular ignition key required, but it just looks like one, your security is in the fact it looks like you need a key. Simple and cheap fix. Make sure you lock your doors.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
forrestwilson
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Ignition/Steering Locked

Post by forrestwilson »

Thank you Petros!

I have already taken off the plastic cover, so I will try spraying some solvent in there before starting it up in the morning tomorrow and see if that helps. If not ill mess around with the springs and tumblers (probably just take them out). I lock it up anyway :)

Thank you again, I will update in the morning!