Transmission Rebuild Kit

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Transmission Rebuild Kit

Post by SirFoxx »

Anyone order from here? It doesnt directly say if they still have the different rebuild kits in stock (z40 4spd, z50 5spd, z50f 5+1spd). If they do, sweet! Pricey, but worth it, especially if they have the syncros.

https://www.drivetrain.com/parts-catalo ... erhaul-kit
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Transmission Rebuild Kit

Post by teranfirbt »

I've called a few different places and haven't had any luck on those BK224 kits, no one actually had any stock. Always worth another try tho :-). Most of the cost comes from the crazy number of bearings that are in the Z50, it's easily twice as many as most typical FWD transverse transaxles. It would be nice to get front diff gears as well, that's the only part I've ever actually broken.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Welp got a reply. And not a good one...

UNFORTUNATELY THESE KITS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
AS SOON AS THE LAST OF THE REMAINING INVENTORY WAS SOLD THAT WAS THE END AS NO ONE WOULD MAKE THEM FOR US ANYMORE.

THANKS

Why even list the products on the website and give a smidge of hope by saying "call for availability" instead of saying "out of stock"? Ugh...
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

your best bet for finding synchros is to stop at every tranny shop you run across
have them look them up
they may find some dusty ones sitting on a shelf at their suppliers
i have found some doing that and some were pretty dusty
just get the two big ones
two required for 1st and 2nd gear (largest one)
two required for 3st and 4nd gear (second largest one)
i have quite a few good used ones for 5th gear and granny gear (3rd largest) that i can give away but they rarely wear out
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

only three bearings ever go bad and all three are on front of tranny
there are 4 total on front of tranny and only the 3 largest ones ever go bad
they are all available
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

xirdneh wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 pm only three bearings ever go bad and all three are on front of tranny
there are 4 total on front of tranny and only the 3 largest ones ever go bad
they are all available
Which bearing(s) would cause excessive whining? I know these transmissions all whine, but the 4spd in my tercel whines like a freaking supercharger, and I'm really concerned that a bearing is about to blow out. Only happens when the car is moving, and is rpm dependent. It's not the throw out bearing, or the input shaft as it doesnt whine when the car is idling with my foot off the clutch.

You can hear it most notable around 0:12 and 0:27 in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP23I-0pM9A.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

whining is usually caused by the teeth on the gears.
if tranny was ever ran with low oil the teeth get messed up
the inner input bearing can be tested by pushing clutch pedal down while engine is idling
if there is noise at idle and it stop or drops in volume when pedal is down. thats the inner input bearing
i have never driven a tercel with bad front bearing but people who have tell be its more of a grind sound
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a small amount of bearing/gear whine is fairly common with manual gear boxes. if the lubrication is kept up to date, a whine can run for hundreds of thousands of miles and never cause any issues. it is the nature of gears that mesh together, the specific geometry is not obvious, but there is a sliding component there when one gear tooth face slips across the other, often causing a high speed harmonic that makes the whining noise.

As bob pointed out, the more worn or rough that surface, the louder that whining noise. the gear face itself is always riding on a layer of lubricant, that is why clean and proper lubricant is so important to the life of the gear box. metal partials in the lubricant will erode away those surfaces, making the whine louder. And there should never be metal on metal contact between the parts, if it does, as when it is run without/low gear oil, it will gall metal off the surfaces of each part in contact with another part fairly quickly. trashing the whole gear box.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member

Post by SirFoxx »

Sooo basically, either first or second gear is worn from what youre saying? Lol. Car only has 124k on it, though I am the 4th owner of it. Who knows how the previous owners treated the car. I recently changed the gear oil with basic 80w90 crap from walmart, but, when I get the 7age all ready to go, I'm going to put redline mt90 in it (or whatever the company recommends for yellow metal. I think its mt90...).
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

i have always used the GL-5 80-90or 85-90 inexpensive gear oil by the gallon that you get at oreillys and other car parts places
we have had several tercels since 1988 in the 280-350,000 mileage range and one that went to 445,000. the only tranny that ever gave us trouble was when 5th gear got messed up from pulling a too heavy trailer too many times. i know now not to use 5th gear when trailering

at 445,000 i took that tranny apart. the synchros still had life so i just brazed some brass on the worn steel shift forks
and stuck it back in the car. that was 6 years ago.
from what i have read GL-4 may save synchros but its not so great on differential gears
if GL-5 is supposed to be bad for synchros then i would expect all synchros in a high mileage tercel tranny to be close to equal wear
but what i see is one gears synchro worn down to Zero gap and the others are ok. so i believe thats because of the driver being harder on one particular gear for whatever reason.
my 1983 factory service manual says to use GL-5
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

When I first got my Tercel I drained the trans and refilled it with generic 80w-90 for only 2-3,000 miles (because 3rd gear started grinding after the fluid change). When I drained the generic fluid to swap to the Redline MT-90 the old fluid was FULL of brass flakes. Besides, at ~67 hp, these cars aren't really taxing the differential gears.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

there is the possibility the oil had nothing to do with the flakes. not much different than when i tried GL-4 in a tercel and a month later the differential teeth broke off. the oil may not have been to blame in that case either.