Manual transmission issues

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Smatters09
My tercel:: 1983 toyota tercel wagon 4wd 5speed

Manual transmission issues

Post by Smatters09 »

Ok so I took my car on a rally race and about half way threw I started to make a weird metal chattering sound but wasnt loud then writhing a shirt time got much louder car drives perfectly fine and all gears are working great but sounds horrible it makes the noise if I'm in neutral with the clutch out and in 1st gear second gear 4th and 5th gear as well as reverse its completely silent in 3rd gear only and when the clutch is pushed in sitting still if your driving one one of the loud gears and you mush the clutch in and coast it still makes the noice till you stop I'm really lost on what's going on with my car I feel like either my throw out bearing is shot or input shaft bearing is shot but idk could be internal bearings to help would be appreciated if anyone wants to hear the noise text me I'll send a video of it at 724-815-3161 also are all the bearings inside the transmission still available to buy anywhere thanks
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Manual transmission issues

Post by NWMO »

Seth,

Based on your description I believe you can rule out the throw out bearing. The input shaft bearing is more probable. I’m not familiar enough with transmission internals to help much there. Fortunately, others are and will more precisely direct you.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Smatters09

Post by Smatters09 »

Thanks I'm just scared the gears maybe junk they feel fine and it drives perfect lol nothing's wrong just sounds like hell
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I agree with Chris. The throw out and pilot bearings spin when the clutch pedal is pushed down. The input shaft bearings spin when the clutch is up. There are a few threads here about this so do a search for more info on how to replace the the ISB.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Seth,

Did you top-off or change the gear oil in the transmission?Hopefully you are just low on fluid or need to change it. If you haven’t changed it, I would drain it, repair any leaking seals, etc. and refill with the appropriate gear oil. Hopefully that will solve the noise problem. The fact that it still shifts/drives ok is encouraging, but I wouldn’t drive it until I the noise was greatly reduced or gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Smatters09

Post by Smatters09 »

Last I checked it was full and clean but I noticed my front axle seals are leaking I'd be surprised if its low filling it will make it stop something has to be worn out now ha what oil exactly do the transmissions actually use anyways
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Seth,

There are two plugs on the passenger side of the transmission and the drain plug on the bottom. The top one should be used for filling, the other backs part way out (not out, 7 revs I believe, better check) and then gets tightened after filling. I am having good luck with an Amsoil product others are liking a Redline product. If you search, there is a good discussion that provides more detail.

Even if it’s full, it might not be the appropriate oil.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Fill and drain plugs are 24mm. The 19mm bolt, bottom rear of tranny gets backed out 8 full turns when draining or filling. Type of gear oil is a huge debate...I'm running a cheapo 80w-90 gl5 in one car and it is a little sticky here and there. In my DD, I'm running Redline MT-90 and it feels amazing but I don't have enough miles on it to report about leaks going to full synth.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
Smatters09

Post by Smatters09 »

Yeah I topped it off with 80 90 reg gear oil was gonna do a complete fluid change soon but now I have to ha but didn't know if I should just fill it with 80 90 or something else
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

how much oil did it need? if it was 2 QTs or more your tranny may not recover. the easiest way to tell if the input bearing is bad is by pushing the clutch pedal down while car is idleing in neutral. if there is noise while pedal is up and it goes quiet when pedal is down, thats the inner input bearing.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.