4th gear shifting issue

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Benrad
My tercel:: 1983 wagon

4th gear shifting issue

Post by Benrad » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:26 am

Good day.

Sometimes when shifting into 4th (worse when cold and or downshifting) it grinds when releasing the clutch like not all way into gear and then pushes shifter into neutral. I now catch it when releasing the clutch and push the clutch back in and either retry or move to different gear. When I pull the shifter hard into fourth and wobble around seems to be less chances of grinding. It never pops out if it makes it into fourth happy it stays in there good .

Do you think could be synchros or shift linkage or??
Am I doing wear damage when it grinds?
Should I replace fluid? Recently purchased tercel but it's already winter here at high elevation Colorado and don't feel like laying in the snow in below freezing temps. Was hoping to next year after build shop to work on cars more.

Thanks.

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: none currently, 7 previous

Re: 4th gear shifting issue

Post by dlb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 am

At the very least, you should check the trans fluid level. So into the snow with you, lol.

Yes, any time there is grinding, it indicates something is wrong there and every time it grinds it will get worse. It must be avoided.

It's likely either the synchros or the gear itself but I would still try going with synthetic gear oil first. Everyone here has a different opinion on synthetic vs traditional gear oil, check out the thread on it to make a decision on it for yourself but that's my advice.

Good luck.

Benrad
My tercel:: 1983 wagon

Post by Benrad » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:43 am

Where is the indicator for the fluid. I am guessing some sort of site glass which I am sure is covered in oil.

NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:55 am

Benrad,

The FSM is found in the General Section under the General Stickies Library of Links. In the top left corner of MA-16 you will find a helpful picture of the fill and plug locations. Of course, under the car it isn't quite so easy/clean, but this shows you where they can be found. If you service and fill, read the portion about backing the one bolt out 7-8 turns allowing oil into another sump during filling.

https://tercel4wd.com/fsm/1985T4WD.pdf

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: none currently, 7 previous

Post by dlb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:12 am

Benrad wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:43 am
Where is the indicator for the fluid. I am guessing some sort of site glass which I am sure is covered in oil.
To check the gear oil, you have to park the car on level ground and undo the 24 mm bolt just rear of the driver side CV axle. The bolt head is very shallow to be extremely careful not to strip it when you undo it. The gear oil should be level with the bottom of that hole, so if some doesn't pour out of the hole to start with, you should be able to feel it with your finger just inside the hole. If you can't feel oil, it's low and that's bad.

rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 am

I've found that if you use a 24mm (15/16") six point socket, you have a lot less chance of rounding out the fill plug head. Craftsman makes 'em.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)