Larger wheels/tires without a lift

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
FranklinTheWagon
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon

Larger wheels/tires without a lift

Post by FranklinTheWagon »

Hello! So eventually I plan to do a small lift, however for the sake of having some upgrades before the coming winter, what is the largest tire size I can likely manage with minimal rubbing on the stock suspension? I see on Craigslist a set of 215/70/r14. I would need a set of spacer/adapters to fit the 5-lug pattern so assuming a 1 inch spacer, would it be a safeish bet?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Larger wheels/tires without a lift

Post by Petros »

I have 215/60-14" tires without lift, and they barley fit without rubbing. It would rub a bit on the left side front (side where I sit when I am driving) when I hit a large bump so I fixed it by bending up the fender lip a little bit.

the 215/70 are not quite as wide. though frankly if it does rub when it bottoms, likely the fix would be easy using a mallet to pound back where it touches.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

I have 5 spoke 15” Miata wheels on my Terc with
185-55-15 tires and have no rubbing issues. What a difference in ride and handling they make.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

FranklinTheWagon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:20 am Hello! So eventually I plan to do a small lift, however for the sake of having some upgrades before the coming winter, what is the largest tire size I can likely manage with minimal rubbing on the stock suspension? I see on Craigslist a set of 215/70/r14. I would need a set of spacer/adapters to fit the 5-lug pattern so assuming a 1 inch spacer, would it be a safeish bet?
Why would you need a 5-lug adapter for 14" wheels? There are tons of cheap 4-lug 14" wheels out there, and even some 15" ones too. I had 15" alloys from a Miata and and MX-3, got both sets for cheap.