sudden dying at stop now and then

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

sudden dying at stop now and then

Post by xirdneh »

I have tried two different carb's on a tercel. the car dies when you come to a stop about one out of ten stops. the bottom just falls out of the idle. i thought it might be the primary fuel cut solenoid not getting voltage, like faulty wiring or something so i rigged it directly to battery and it did not help. anyone else ever have this problem? when it does not die it idles very well.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Re: sudden dying at stop now and then

Post by Abletobecain »

I have the same problem but for me the idle drops out at every stop and even gear shift when the clutch is held in too long. However, about half the time it idles perfect though. It's really been a bugger trying to figure it out.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I can't say I am having that problem, but my car will often times idle 1,000 rpm or more, but when I come off from highway driving and come to a stop, it may idle down to 700-800 and sound like it is going to die. I tried adjusting the low idle setting per the FSM, but it didn't help.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have had this problem on several different Tercels I was fixing up, and my daily driver once as well. in every case the problem corrected by adjusting the stop screw on the throttle dampener device on the front of the carb on that end of the throttle shaft (the side opposite the bell crank). it is not obvious why this causes it, but adjusting it makes it go away. it is part of the emissions control system, perhaps the idle is too lean not to have this device, I do not recall what it is called.

It is a vac pot and linkage that slows the closing of the throttle, it is supposed to prevent the throttle plate from slamming shut, and reducing emissions. it is generally a harmless device, but if the stop is out of adjustment it will allow the idle to drop too low when you let off the throttle.

the adjustment is simple, you rev the engine up and release the throttle plat, it should take about 3 seconds for the throttle to come to the idle position. the vac device and linkage hold it open right at the end of its travel and brings it down slowly. there is a FSM procedure to adjust it.

if you have the stop screw too far in it takes too long for the engine to return to idle, it makes shifting gears troublesome. if it is not enough, it will cause the idle to drop below normal, and either stall there, or almost stall, and than slowly return back to the nominal idle speed.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Press2
My tercel:: 86' Tercel 4WD AUS

Post by Press2 »

I've had the same issue with multiple AISIN carbs as per your original post. Tried 3AC and 4AC aisin carbs, both slightly different.

The fix? Ended up replacing my carby with a Holley 5200 and cleaning up the wiring in engine bay to battery.
In my instance i believe I was losing spark when coming to a complete stop due to poor wiring.

Cheers.
slow car 86' Toyota Tercel 4WD
fast car MK6 Golf R
always on jack stands car E36 325i Drift Build
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Petros...I messed with that screw and it definitely changed my idle. I noticed the TP wasn't moving though...applied vacuum to it manually and it held fine. Pulled and tested the TVSV and sure enough it's bad.

Now to find a good one that doesn't cost $50.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)