Poor Parking Brake

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Poor Parking Brake

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a 1987 Toyota Tercel DX Wagon RHD 1452cc manual driven car.

I am experiencing a poor hand brake in higher ramps(inclinations). (Normal braking works fine)

Parking brake adjustment nut at the lever was tightened up to the maximum (until the cable start to twist).

I have replaced the parking brake cables with new. Brake linings are not much worn.

Brake drum is worn and it has a inner diameter of 205mm whereas it is indicated the maximum should not exeed 201mm.

Since it is difficult to find exact drums for this car, an mechanic told it should be filled the shoes at the ends as marked "A" below.

Edited 3.jpg
Even after that parking brake problem didnt resolved. (After that normal braking is superb)

Automatic adjustment mechanism(strut) , hold down sprins, anchor springs, adjusting lever springs were replaced with new. main return spring was not replaced.

But problem still exists.

What should be done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Poor Parking Brake

Post by Mattel »

I would check but imagine the more popular KE70 corolla has the same rear end as the Tercel 4wd and might work as a replacement drums. again. I would check part numbers with Toyota.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Does that means only the general braking can be improved with shoe filling but the parking brake problem cannot be overcome with filling shoe ends ?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Dumindu,

I suppose I can’t appreciate the difficulty of getting parts, that said, you should be able to find something online. Running thin drums may catch up to you down the road. Filling the shoe ends moves the shoes closer to the drums and the wheel cylinders are then able to provide the needed hydraulic pressure for adequate braking. However, your parking brake is mechanical and will not benefit from the shoe change.

I got the photo on, but didn’t explain. If you loosen your e-brake cable and add a bolt (as such), it should take out enough slack to let you get it adjusted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you all for your valuable advice.

I will replace the drums with ordering online. It is better to have perfect specs rather than modified.

But for the knowledge purposes still I cant understand how the parking brake is affected from the worn drum. Somehow shoes are made close to the drum by the strut. Isnt it?
Last edited by Dumindu on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you will not improve the parking brake performance by adding to the upper lug on the shoe since it does not change the geometry. You will improve it if you add to the lower lug, it will allow the parking brake more leverage to for increased pressure on the shoes.

not too much, you still need them to fit inside the drum.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you very much for your valuable advice..

Now I understand.Shoe anchor point is the Lower lug. Not the Strut.
Edited 11.jpg
Is this correct?