Locked up motor

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
edleisinger
My tercel:: 1986,Toyota,SR5 wagon. No modifications known

Locked up motor

Post by edleisinger »

I'm a newbie folks to this website and recently just registered. I bought a 1986 tercel SR5 4wd wagon. My mechanic says the motor is locked up, so I'm looking for another motor. My question is; to replace the motor in my SR5, can I also look out for tercel passenger car motors and if so, what years of those motors would fit my SR5? Toyota HQ's will not help me with this info due to their bs policy of lawsuits; in case they give me the wrong info. Please help a fella out. Thank you.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Locked up motor

Post by NWMO »

Welcome to the site Ed,

For a bolt-in solution, you need to be on the lookout for a 3A or 4A engine from these Tercels or the mid 80s Chevy Novas (4A engine). Others will provide more detail, even with the other motors, if it's not a 4WD Tercel, you will likely need to switch your oil pan and brackets etc. to the new block.

Good luck, you might even find an engine here.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Welcome aboard- where are you located?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

a 4ac will give you a slight bump in power (1600cc vs 1452cc for the 3ac) or if you have the resources a fuel injected 4afe or even 4age can be made to fit. for a big jump in power.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

any 3a or 4ac engine will work if you switch over all the external parts. the 3a as in used in the 1980-82 Tercel, and all models of Tercels through 1986, only on the 4wd wagons from '87 and '88.

The 4ac was used on corollas from 1984 (?) through 1989.

3a and 4ac would be simple bolt in swaps. the 4af, 4afe, 4age can also be made to work but will require a lot of special parts to be made.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)