Front brakes

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
solarlord
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 4wd Swiss model

Front brakes

Post by solarlord »

hi to all- regards upgrade to MR2 brakes- i have a 87 terc which takes 85/86 parts -so do i use 85/86 MR2 rotors/discs and calipers? (ie raybestos from rockauto)-- plus can i use the pads for the terc (i have a new set) or do i need the the pads for the MR2 caliper? --lastly the flexihoses(frontbrake) are shot so do use the tercel 4x4 hoses or the MR2? THANKS AGAIN DEREK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Front brakes

Post by Petros »

the later first generation MR2 front brakes are larger, they may work on the Tercel but I do not know if anyone has tested the fit.

the early MR2 front caliper, master and booster work in the Tercel. you will need either a '92 front rotor with a shim, or the VW front rotor to work with the MR2 front calipers. Also, the corolla and '92 Tercel/Pasao front caliper should also fit.

Use the MR2, corolla or '92 Tercel/Pasao front flex hoses, they are longer and you will need them with the conversion. The T4wd front flex hose is too short to work with the larger caliper.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)