Situation... flooded float bowl & rough unsustainable idle after new pump/dizzy/starter

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Situation... flooded float bowl & rough unsustainable idle after new pump/dizzy/starter

Post by Petros »

perhaps the vent system, the charcoal canister set up, is not functioning properly. it the tank does not vent properly it will fuel starve as the fuel level drops and creates a vacuum in the tank, and when the fuel in the tank warms during the day, it will create too much pressure in the tank and cause the engine to flood.

there are some simple tests in service manual on testing the fuel vent system components.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

Re: Situation... flooded float bowl & rough unsustainable idle after new pump/dizzy/starter

Post by SinusoidalTendencies »

that's basically what i'm experiencing. flushing my A/T transmission and diffs right now, separately of course since they are not connected like in a manual.

will check that next when i'm done with the flush.
I don't always learn my lesson.
But when i do, it's the hard way.
Ellisdee
My tercel:: 1985 wagon

Post by Ellisdee »

I have the same problem...my tercel will run fine with only the mechanical pump, but if I stop and turn it off, when I take off again it starves for fuel...I’ve pulled the tank and blown out the lines, etc...but the only solution has been an in line electric pump...I only have to use it for a minute or so and then it runs with the mechanical pump only...I’m stumped...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that might be the crap federal ethanol blend gasoline. ethanol has a lower vapor pressure and will cause vapor lock on hot days. In my car typically starts and runs fine from cold, and will restart after very short stops, but about 5 to 10 min stop (like when you fill up), it will sit and crank like there is no fuel right after a fill up. only happens on hot days, when the fuel in the lines that goes over the exhaust manual gets cooked by not circulating.

either you have to allow it cool, or try and find ethanol free fuel. I have got in the habit of first opening the hood of the car when I stop for gas on a hot day, than go about filling it up. this allows more air circulation so it does not get as hot under the hood. reminds me to check the oil too.

it does not affect the higher pressure EFI systems, so industry thinks this is not a problem.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey SST and Peter,

I have experienced this on a couple of occasions, both times after driving slowly up a hill in the pasture. If I pour fuel into the bowl, the car will start up and the pump will catch up, but I've assumed it is the ethanol fuel "boiling" out of the bowl. I can see/hear the fuel boil when I pour it down the bowl, but enough survives to start it.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

squirting cold water on the outside of the carb, fuel lines and fuel pump usually fixes it so it will start.

once running cooler fuel is pumped into the system from the fuel tank and it will stay running.