Looking at buying a 1985 tercel sr5 w/ 6 speed manual

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Yotasr5guy
My tercel:: 1985 sr5

Looking at buying a 1985 tercel sr5 w/ 6 speed manual

Post by Yotasr5guy »

I love these cars and have been searching for one for a while on the north, Canada. I have found a candidate. 150k kms with a rusty body. From and floor is all good but my main concern would be the oil on the right/backside of the engine.

Is this something I should be concerned about or hard to fix?

The current owner has had it a week and didn’t have too much on the previous owner. It doesn’t seem to be neglected mechanically as it runs and drives smoothly.

I can attach pictures but like I stated if anyone has any advice on where the oil could be coming from would be greatly appreciated before I buy this sr5.

The tranny looked clean so I’m assuming it’s from the engine.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Looking at buying a 1985 tercel sr5 w/ 6 speed manual

Post by BaileySims »

Right back side, could be the distributor o-ring. Simple fix.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Yota,

I would be more concerned about rust damage to the "frame" members and locations where the suspension connects to the sub-frame. Without a pic, it is difficult to provide an opinion on the source of the oil. The fact that somebody is "flipping" it would be strike one for me. But heck, I purchased my first Tercel (and current daily driver) from 1,500 miles away by just looking at pics! Had I traveled and checked the car out in person, I likely would not have made the purchase. Fortunately, I've enjoyed working on it (most times) and look forward to many more years of use.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Yotasr5guy

Post by Yotasr5guy »

Not sure if it is a flip, he said he wants ac and has small kids. Also the driver window is stuck. So I can see why he wouldn't want it.

That would make sense as he said he didnt lose very much and it did cover from the top to almost the bottom of the case. Just in that corner. the tranny seemed to be oil free.

If the "frame" is rusty and the member need to be replaced is that possible? Or would it be scrap it completely. Probably off a donor car or not at all.
Yotasr5guy

Post by Yotasr5guy »

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

several common places for oil to leak at the back of the engine, all easy fixes: distributor o-ring, fuel pump gasket, rear of valve cover "half moon" plug. often just adding lots of oil resistant gasket sealer will do it.

sometimes you can have a rear seal leaking, but it tends to come out at the bottom of the bell housing and than sprays aft, making a mess on the trans. that is not so easy a fix, if that is the cause I would try and use the various oil additives that say it will stop oil seal leaks (sometimes works, worth a try). And than replace the rear main seal when you have to pull the trans for a new clutch or other heavy maintenance.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

When you say the oil leak is at the rear right of the engine, do you mean the passenger side? And is the leak high or low? If it's high up, I think there is a seal where the fuel pump mounts to the engine that could be the cause. I'm not positive on that because I never had to replace a fuel pump with these cars but seem to remember others mentioning it. If that's the case, it should be pretty easy to access and replace.

Sasketchewan! Not many T4's out there. I'm surprised you found one at all. Check the frame thoroughly because that's the biggest concern. If you get the car, you will need to check the front sway bar ends ASAP because they are prone to rusting out even in the best conditions.

Whose old Toyota pickup is that in the back of the first picture? It looks unreal.