drive shaft rebuild

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

drive shaft rebuild

Post by jimcrazy »

put 3 new u-joints and new steady bearing on yesterday,,joints,, neapco 1-0430 or rockford 430-10 or on rockauto skf uj10430
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: drive shaft rebuild

Post by dlb »

Oooh, neat. How did you install the u-joints? Did you have to cut the old ones off and weld these ones in? Was any balancing required?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

dlb the joints are a direct fit and they have inside locks,,the yokes are all ready machined out for them,,,i replaced all 3 and did have a small vibration at 30-40 mph,,,use a dial indicator on the drive shaft found the low side and put a 3" hose clamp with the screw part of the clamp on the low spot,,,one at the rear diff and one up by the steady bearing on the low spot there,,,vibration gone,, run her up to 75mph this morning all good...changing 1 or 2 should never bother it i find when doing all 3 is when you will get a small vibration
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

better pic of the locks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Great information. How were the old ones held in?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

they are what they call staked in joints,,just a bunch of crimps hold the cap in,,
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Thanks for the part numbers. Never tackled an Asian drive shaft as the vehicle frequently wasn't worth it to the owner by the time it failed. Even local driveline shops farmed them out and wouldn't even give part numbers for replacement joints, or sell them. Dealers only sold new shafts($$$) I've only had to do one T4 hanger bearing so far.. Did you grind out the stakes with a rotary tool?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

you have to clean up the stake marks after you get the caps out,rotary tool will do the job no problem,,,i do so many i just cut the cross with a torch then knock the caps in then clean up the stake marks then line ream them,,just did a rav and a honda pilot today,,,next one i do i will take a bunch of pics and post them
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I found I can just drive out the old u-joint with a big mallot, and than clean up the bores after the caps and u-joints are removed. A rotary sanding drum in a drill or Dremmel is all it should need. you do not have to take off much, you just need to clean up the bore to allow the new cups to be pressed into place.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Thanks for the tip. I would be a little concerned with pressure from boiling grease shooting caps or debris out. A co-worker exploded a rusted in ball joint once. He had a metal drain pan catching hot drippings then suddenly the round end of the ball joint stud peened a hole through the bottom of that metal pan. Luckily no one or anything got damaged by flying metal and hot grease, and I was in the office for that show..
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I would not be keen on putting a torch to it either. might damage the yoke, any heat treating could be lost.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)