Possessed cooling fan

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ColSwede
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Tercel Wagon 4wd

Possessed cooling fan

Post by ColSwede »

On my '83 DLX wagon, the cooling fan seems to do its own thing. Even if the car has just been sitting and I turn the key to the on position and then off, it will kick the fan on. Many times, it won't shut off after I've turned the car off and I have to pull the relay under the hood, or, on occasion, shake the fuse box and it'll shut it off. I've replaced the entire fan assembly, the relay, thermostat and the radiator (that wasn't planned). It does seem to work as it is supposed to otherwise. But I'd like to not have to worry about it running all night and killing my battery. What else could be causing this? Am I missing something? Common issue? Easy fix?

Thank you!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Possessed cooling fan

Post by Petros »

Never heard of that before, on the Tercel the fan should be off when the ignition is off.

Possible corrosion in the relay box or fuse panel, it might cause an unreliable contact that allows it run.

also, check you do not have damage to the wire bundle or wire insulation, grounding of the wire might cause it to come on.

let us know what you find, might be worth it to others to know what causes that.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)