Front Wheel Stud Problem

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Front Wheel Stud Problem

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I removed the right front wheel for the first time since I bought the car in April and noticed that a stud was broken off slightly below the surface of the hub plate. It was so kind of Sears in Murfreesboro, TN, to not point this out when it installed new tires back then. I think the missing portion has been AWOL for some time before that, though, as there is rust on the cross section.

The only reference to a front stud replacement I could find was a post by WeirdAl some time ago, with the thread quickly moving to the ever-popular discussion of replacement wheels of various sizes. The wonderful FSM is mum on the subject of stud replacement, but the AZ site does show a simple Toyota SST C-clamp affair pressing out a stud.
I have an old Craftsman C-type gear puller with 4" arms which looks like it may work, and I will attempt it as soon as I find a stud in a day or two. Has anyone attempted this with any other type of shade-tree mechanic's tool / field expediency device?
Thanks for words.
Tom M.
P.S. While I realize that, just as in Kentucky equine establishments, 4 studs are better than 3, am I courting at least dismemberment by driving gently with a trio rather than a quartet? The Lord only knows how long the 1 has been missing.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Might be able to use a hammer with the right support? Tube? Socket? Think they have a serrated end on them...some I've seen did.

I'd take it seriously...I've heard of a couple cases where people didn't snug the wheel...the shock on the studs can fracture them...they lose the whole wheel.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Will do, and will post word on what I use to resolve this.
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I've never dealt with Toyota studs, but they should be just as easy as the other cars I've dealt with. As long as there's room behind the hub, you can just knock them out with a hammer. Or maybe a hammer and chisel if it's broken off too deep in the hub. And if for some reason you ever want to remove a good stud (like in a junkyard), just put a lugnut on it to protect the threads. To install a stud, just push it in and then pull it through the rest of the way with a lug nut.
Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

this happened to me while changing the front transaxles over the summer

we had to break two studs off the right front tire because some les schwab in california crossthreaded the lugnuts

we heated it up with a propane torch, and i did the honors of jumping on it, two broken studs, we just hammered them through and hammered the new ones in with a ball ping hammer

worked well!
asa
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Re: Front Wheel Stud Problem

Post by asa »

Hey guys, I’m not quite understanding how you all pressed out the studs, seems like there isn’t room behind there for them to come out or to put new ones on. Am I missing something? I’ve got the hub off the car (disconnected at ball joint, strut mounts, and tie rod) for other upgrades so I thought it’d be I’m not sure what else need to come off.

Thanks,
Asa