Steering Wheel

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Is there a practical or common way to extend a Steering wheel Outward toward the driver? I found one I like but typicaly when I ajust the seat-back for my legs,I need the S~wheel back about 2" farther too.Mabey an adapter? Also Im gonna need a puller-of-sorts,right? :unsure:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

What do we have here? A case of long legs and short arms???? :D

I'd thinking of unbolting my driver's seat and trying to move it back a notch or two. Bought some new boots & have to sort of wedge my feet into the car when I wear them. Steering wheel seems OK to me.

Real racer type people want that wheel at almost arms length anyway! :P

They might sell aftermarket steering wheels that are deep dish or something........try a web search?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

You know takza,I REALY resisted makeing Jokes about you FIddle-F$&king with your glove~box utill you broke the release! <_< I showed Zen~Like control,ZEN~LIKE!!! :angry:
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

They don't get much deeper dish, if at all, than the stock wheel. There aren't any extenders on the market so it would have to be made. If you use an after market wheel, there are hubs of different lengths so you could have almost any length you want.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah thats my point AC.The wheel-depth position is just-ok,I can live with that,but the way I like the seat ajusted dosnt leave much room between my legs and the bottom of the wheel,so its cramped getting in and out and moveing around.I realize the problem can be solved by putting in a smaller wheel,but the "Dish" on the stock wheel is so unusualy deep,I cant match-it and I cant lose any more Depth.Also,Im not an Art Major,but I think I could have "Crapped" a better looking Steering wheel,this thing would make a Yugo look worse.So an Aftermarket wheel with some type of extended~hub is what Ill be looking at.Have you seen Hubs like that? :unsure:
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

funny, funny stuff....
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thereminator wrote:You know takza,I REALY resisted makeing Jokes about you FIddle-F$&king with your glove~box utill you broke the release!   <_<  I showed Zen~Like control,ZEN~LIKE!!!   :angry:
I was messing with the glove box latch right after I bought the car....I though that there was some sheetmetal in there that was bent....so being the kind of guy that likes to fix stuff...I tried straigtening it. It broke.

I said...oh sh*t...I've ruined my new car! Then I got out my trusty plastic solvent-glue type stuff and fixed it. Still looks the same. I'm lucky. :huh:

It is good that you have learned self control...grasshopper. But I'd keep those RPMs somewhere south of 37,000? <_<

<span style='color:blue'>A koan:

What is the sound of one hand flapping?

Answer:

Hi!</span>
--------------

To redeem myself......somewhere in here, you might find a wheel to your liking?

<a href='http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... p&ss=10101' target='_blank'>http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... s=10101</a>

Grant has some wheels in the JCW catalog that aren't shown on the JCW website. They have some for around $30 that have about the same dish as the OEM and are about 1" less diameter. Also have an installation kit for the Tercel.

These people might have what you want:

<a href='http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html' target='_blank'>http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html</a>
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...