Suspension parts to buy

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
A_luck

Suspension parts to buy

Post by A_luck »

Hi All,

I'm a total noob, but i'm learning from reading posts on this site often :oldgeek:

With the help of all of you, I've recently had my rack and pinion and cv axles replaced, and i've bought a nice set of Miata Daisys that are ready to go once I get the right lug nuts. I've been able to have that stuff fixed, and a few other things just by reading through here and not really posting ever, but I am about to drop some money on multiple part upgrade and all the posts i find are very open ended. Everyone sort of has their own solution, which is great, I am just looking for clarity if possible.

I have been reading through posts about suspension, mainly this one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13905&hilit=moog

Looking to buy Moog springs, and KYB Shock Absorbers for the front of my 1985 T4wd, and I would love it if some of you experts could chime in and help me make the right decision.

If I buy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-KYB-FRONT ... 1438.l2649

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-VW-GOLF-M ... 1526503344

Will they fit together? If yes, what else will I need? If no, I'll gladly buy any parts that you recommend. My suspension is pretty dead up front, I am hoping this upgrade lifts the front end a few inches. Then I'll fix the rear suspension with Pathfinder springs and probably have a coil clipped off them.

Thank you.
-A
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Suspension parts to buy

Post by Petros »

the strut incert goes into the strut tube and is not really affected by the spring you choose. the spring should be the size and stiffness so the "resting" height, where the suspension rides with the car on level ground and nominally loaded with driver and minimal cargo, should be about half way between the max and min extremes of the suspension stroke length.

but even if the spring provides a bit more lift, the same shock will still work in the strut.

IOW< it should be compatible, no problem. Unless the spring is too stiff
/ too long, and leaves the suspension at the bottom of its travel once installed.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)