Factors affect for parking brake ?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Factors affect for parking brake ?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

In my car Parking brake is not working. It can stop the car in a slight slope but not in a large slope.

Parking brake cable has a high tension on the lever attached to the shoe even without hand brake application (by the handle). I feel lever is pulled enough to have the brake even without brake application.

I found 3 factors that could possibly affect
  • Hand brake cables that goes to separate wheels are having uneven lengths. Right one is one inch longer than the left. So the equalizer is little bit rotated.
  • Cable covers present only at retainers. In between bare cables are seen. in some places cable covers are moving on the retainers when the hand brake is applied.
  • Auto adjustment mechanism on right side rear drum brake is not functioning. Auto adjustment lever is away from the star wheel. Reason I found is that there is a excessive play between levers. I am planning to replace the shim and C clips with adding a washer in-between.
What could be the mostly affecting factor for the poor hand brake that need to correct immediately?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Factors affect for parking brake ?

Post by Petros »

make sure your rear brake shoes are worn approx evenly, that could cause the different length of cable. Or just install new rear shoes if necessary.

also, adjust the rear brakes to the same amount of clearance. The shoes should just barely touch the drum when you have the adjustment correct, when you rotate the wheel you will hear the shoes just touching the drums. The auto adjusters will not make up for out of adjusted brakes, you have to manually adjust them first. the auto adjusters just compensate as teh shoes wear. you can get by without them working, it just means you have to get to the slot in the brake backing plate with a screw driver every few thousand miles (like we always used to do). but if you can get the parts installed correctly and in the right place, the adjuster should work normally.

Unless one cable was replaced with a different length one, it should not be uneven at the center linkage. the handle height adjustment is under the brake center console down low against the tunnel, adjusted from inside the car with the hand brake cover removed.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thanks.

Rear brake linings are nearly 4 mm in both sides. It is the best size as noted in FSM.

Yesterday I removed the Hand brake handle side nut and loosen the cable tension. Then adjusted the brake. This time I could see the Auto adjustment lever is in contact of the star wheel. Great tension in the cable was the factor that lead the levers to twist.

I found the cause of the problem when I tried to put the nut again. Cable is around one inch below in the tunnel. That means initial cable is short.

It seems that the previous owner has replaced cables those not appropriate to the vehicle. I am planning to get make cables by a cable maker (cables for Tercel not found in the local market). But I have to find the correct specs of the lengths of the cables. Now I am searching to find them. I found in ebay that two long cables should be 56.75" each. Since the initial short cable is a STD part now, its difficult to find the length.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

the right is 56 3/4 and the left is 57 9/16
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Means left one is longer than the right one?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

yes,,i ordered a set from rockauto just to have on the shelf if i ever need them and the left is longer than the right,,https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... cable,1696
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

if you click on the info tab of the raybestos bc93363 and bc93849 it gives you the length