Distributor timing question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Distributor timing question

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon with a 3A engine.

When get engine the timing from the distributor I have a question to identify the correct point by the ear.

When rotating the distributor cup clockwise and anti-clockwise (Advance and Retard directions) at the ends there are labour sounds and in-between pinging sound peak at the middle.

I have heard that correct timing point is 1-2 degrees retarded to the peak pinging.

Is it correct? or is there any other way to set timing with ear?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Distributor timing question

Post by Petros »

the best timing, to get the most power and the highest fuel economy, is where you get the most advance you can, WITHOUT audible ping or engine knock.

the worst condition for ping is a max acceleration on a warm day, engine fully warm. you have to make several attempts, you set it, than accelerated hard (preferably up hill), and listen for ping or knock. you advance it until you get the ping on acceleration, than back it off a few degrees.

outside air temperature, quality and octane rating of the gasoline, will affect how much advance you can have without ping. so if those vary, you can expect to have reset it. Prolonged ping is harmful, could cause head gasket failure, or piston crown failure.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you very much
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Sorry. Does that means by ? :

Remove the lock-nut and rotate the distributor cup anti-clockwise as much as the nut hole can be seen. Then start rotating the distributor cup Clockwise until engine sound start to increase. Then stop the rotation and rotate it back for few degrees.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Dumindu wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:20 am
Remove the lock-nut and rotate the distributor cup anti-clockwise as much as the nut hole can be seen. Then start rotating the distributor cup Clockwise until engine sound start to increase. Then stop the rotation and rotate it back for few degrees.
Yes, pretty much. But do not remove the bolt holding the distributor position, just back it off until you can just rotate the distributor. you advance the spark timing, tighten the bolt, than drive it and listen for ping. if no ping, advance it again a few degrees, and than drive it again and listen for ping. when you finally hear ping after it is advanced and tested, than back it off a few degrees. an occasional ping is okay, but not too much.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)