Fuel pump noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Fuel pump noise

Post by Yaut »

I've had a noticeable although not very loud noise of what sounds distinctly like a loose valve. Today I picked up a valve cover gasket set and adjusted the valves but found them to all be very close to spec and everything looks very nice (the engine only has 100k on it after all). Only two of the exhaust valves being slightly tight. After putting everything back together the noise of course is still there. After further investigation, it seems to be coming from the area of where the arm of the fuel pump meets the cam. Is this a common thing others have run in to? The pump is new and made by Import Direct (who knows who actually made it). It's not a big deal, just slightly annoying and I doubt it will cause much harm.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Fuel pump noise

Post by Petros »

the fuel pump does make noise, but usually not distinguishable over the valves and exhaust noises. take a long/large screw driver, put the tip on the pump when it is running, and push the handle against your ear. it will act like a stethoscope and you can isolate the noise it makesn (it will transmit noise directly to your skull through the screw driver). A mechnaic's stethoscope works too, but not necessary. Try moving it around the engine, you can pick out the sound the cam makes whirling in the head, the noise the pistons make as the go up and down in the block, the noise the oil pump, fuel pump and distributor makes while they are working.

if the noise is excessive you may want to check out the pump, remove it and compare it to your old one. Was the old one bad, or did you just replace it trying to isolate another problem?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Re: Fuel pump noise

Post by Yaut »

Petros

The screw driver trick was how I isolated it to the fuel pump noise, I should have been clear about that. The pump was bad when I purchased the car so that is why I replaced it. I don't really think it's worth the bother to replace it to try to cure the noise but it sure is annoying. Perhaps I could take the valve cover back off and check the lash of the pump arm with a feeler gauge when on the small side of the lobe. Maybe I could even adjust the arm slightly.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)