Another radiator fan dilima

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Another radiator fan dilima

Post by Petros »

slimdude85 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:50 pm
I've got a coolant leak at the 'stat housing. I surmise it is due to this very issue. I never even thought it could have been due to the 'stat shifting. Could one hold the 'stat in place with a screw driver or needle-nose pliers (through the coolant neck opening) instead?
you can hold it in place by holding the housing up tight against the mating surface while you install the screws. It is just an award position to hold while you are trying to snug down the 10 mm nuts, your hand does not want to bend that way and there is not quite enough room to get both hands up in there holding both the housing in place and threading on the small nut. A "third" hand would be helpful (an assistant) and more room to work, but most of us do not have that luxury. the sealant is a simple solution that holds the t-stat and housing in place until you can get both nuts on the small studs and snug them down. Trying to use some kind of tool to do that will get in the way and just complicate a fairly simple installation.

it is not that it can not be done without the sealant, it is just frustrating because you can not be sure you have the t-stat in the correct position after the nuts are tightened, until you fill and run it. the sealant acts like that third hand, holding in the right position until you can tighten it down.

don't over analyze it, it is a simple solution to a practical problem.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: Another radiator fan dilima

Post by gnarnold »

I once bought I think it was 5 different tstats from three different stores that were all bad .I was pulling my hair out.but I got really good at draining and replacing coolant and making my own gaskets ..
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|