Stereo Wiring

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Hey all.

I am being lazy. So I will ask all of you smart people out there this question-

Does anyone know the wiring color codes for my 86 stereo?

I guess I could figure it out, or buy a harness, but this is for a temporary install until I go all out. Believe it or not, the stock tape deck just ain't cutting it.

So, if anyone knows off the top of their head, I would appreciate it.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Is your factory connector still there or is the harness cut? http://www.installdr.com has good diagrams of the factor connector, but if it's cut off then it's harder to tell by colour because they are different through the years.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Thanks 3, I looked for a site like the one you gave me, and it was a big help.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Fingers,I just installed a Kenwood Tape/Cd player and if you can get Year-Specific Color codeing thats the best way.In my case I bought a nice little multi-meter(needed new one anyway)and tested them.Once you find the Live,Live-switched and Ground(usualy black?)most of the remainder are speakerwire and there color-codes are fairly self-evident. :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

i'd probably replace the speaker wire altogether since it's pretty old and maybe worn. I know mine look dusty. I think tweeters in the dash, mids somewhere else, and subs in the trunk would be nice :)
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I jammed 4" Cerwin Vegas in my dash.It was a tight~fit,but the sound is Su-weet! :D
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I used to do a ton of crazy installs in the past, I even have all the codes somewhere, but, like I said, I am being lazy. Since I have moved, I still haven't even come close to unpacking all of the papers and books from back in the day. When I actually build my system, as opposed to throwing in spare parts lying around, I will totally eliminate any stock wiring in my setup. This is the longest I have ever went with a crappy, back-speakers-not-workin', factory system, but I have been putting soooo much time into making sure my car is right and sanding rust specs off, I haven't had the time (or money) to even think about sound. And I spend at least 4 hours a day in ole whitey. Heck, even the AM reception drives me nuts!

Helliphino.com