Need Help / Need Part

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Buzzard67
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Delux

Need Help / Need Part

Post by Buzzard67 »

Hi, Quick background.
1984 Toyota Tercel DLX 4x4 ( owned 7 yrs )
Now like a dumb ass I was moving the Temperature lever back and forth to the point of snapping the metal bar ( I believe because the cables were super stiff ) Yes because I didn't check the website before messing with the cable, now I know better after breaking it. Well I took apart the dash which I done before ( love that I only need a Philips screw driver ). I followed instruction given to me on website. Worked well for awhile about 2 years.
Now here is were it all falls apart.
I have been forced to drive my Tercel on the salt laden roads of Minnesota because my winter car crapped out ( that is another story ) .
I was trying to get the most heat and fan blow toward my windshield so......... I started messing with levers , ducts and cables. Big mistake !!!!
I now have broke the Directional selector ( floor , bi-level and defrost ).
Now I not only broke the heat - cold lever and the the directional selector lever but I also Broke 2 the main body of plastic attachment points the levers attach to. Non repairable plastic pivot point the levers sit on.......... SHIT SHIT SHIT
Since I live in Minnesota I do not have the best selection of Junk yards and have already call the closest ones within a 150 mile radius , no luck !!
I am looking for the whole dash insert that connects to the cables that work heat / cold and direction .
I don't have a open dash picture , but here is a interior part picture .
If you know of any member that has this part please pass this post on. I do have pay pal or could work out any other payment method if anyone has one to ship.
Thanks for reading.
PS it dose have A/C button .
Toyota dash.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buzzard67
Advanced Member

Re: Need Help / Need Part

Post by Buzzard67 »

Just FYI In the picture I just placed the control levers back in place since they are broke and the plastic housing have snapped off behind dash.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

PM sent.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

You can turn the heat on and off by moving the control valve lever manually. Its under the hood on passenger side fire wall. Disconnect cable and move it towards driverside.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

xirdneh wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:49 pm You can turn the heat on and off by moving the control valve lever manually. Its under the hood on passenger side fire wall. Disconnect cable and move it towards driverside.
I do that every Winter/Spring, as for ? reason my control lever - while it does work - does not move the actual valve all of the way and, frankly, I do not want to risk breaking it and the consequences thereof.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

If you tip up engine compt end of cable and drip some very light oil or silicone on end and let it work its way down the cable it wil loosen it up. I wedge cable end in one of the holes in underside of hood. Let it sit for a while then drip some more.
Also loosen up the valve by dripping same oil all over it and work it back and forth till loose
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Buzzard67
Advanced Member

Post by Buzzard67 »

Thanks for all the great advise. I do move the cables manually under the hood and open the glove box and move the cable clip for the ducts manually.
Here is a weird question. I get GREAT heat with the vent setting , GOOD heat out the floor but LUKE WARM to cool air out defrost . Anybody else have same symptoms.
PS Thanks for all the help. I think a great member and I will be able to come to agreement and get this fixed.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Buzzard67 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:19 am Here is a weird question. I get GREAT heat with the vent setting , GOOD heat out the floor but LUKE WARM to cool air out defrost .
sounds like the internal flap/doors are not set correctly. the same heated air flows out ether the vents, the defrost, or the floor vents. since you are manually setting the flap position, verify they are set correctly for your intended use.

Also, it might be possible either a section of duct is disconnected or missing so the warm air leaks out somewhere else rather than blowing out the defrost vents. it could also be the old foam gaskets used in the ducts are all decomposed created a leaky duct sytem.

They are fairly easy to get access to and check, you just remove the glove box (two Phillips screws at the hinges), and the panel below the steering column (4 or 5 Philips screws). Use a flash light and look up under the dash at the ducts (it helps to recline your seat back, and lay on your back with your head on or near the floor so you can see up under the dash). you can than remove segments of the ducts to see if the sealing foam strips are any good (just a few screws, than you wiggle them out). Mine are all original and still work okay, but eventually I will take the trouble to put now sealing strips in the duct connections.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Buzzard67
Advanced Member

Post by Buzzard67 »

Toyotafloorvent1.jpg
Thanks about the advise of reclining the seats and laying on your back to access the ducts easier. I would have never thought of that. That way I love this site, all this great information. Were would I get the new foam duct seal. Would you get this foam at a car parts or home repair like you would use around a front door to prevent the wind from blowing in the gap. Or would you recommend using a new product like silicon sealant.

New subject about the same topic. In my many times under the dash / glove box I have noticed ( see if I can get a decent picture ) that the floor ducts on driver and passenger side the majority ( bigger vent ) of air blows toward the carpet toward the fire wall. Now I tape off the big outlets blowing toward the carpet fire wall. There are one small Box shaped ( size of dice ) on each side ( driver / passenger ) blowing toward your feet. Now is this original ? Or are the bigger outlets facing the carpeted fire wall being closed off when you switch the vent selector , like if you change from floor to vent the bigger floor outlet vents close off ?
Try to add picture.
Tell me what you think.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Buzzard67 on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the foam weather strip with an adhesive strip on it works best, from the hardware store (like the kind you use on your house door). you can use silicone too, but that would make it a bear to remove another time later, I would not recommend that.

As I recall, the lower ducts either get all of the heated air directed that way, or directed elsewhere like the mid level vents or the defroster ducts. I do not think they split the flow within the duct as you suggest. I suspect they have the various outlet vents positioned so it distributes the heated air in a way that the designer thought was most desirable for the passengers. there are even ducts that directly flow to the back seat passengers, but they seem pretty useless since the air gets cooled before it gets all the way to the back seats, and you would be overheating the front passengers and driver before the rear passengers got enough heat. bad idea, but typical.

Many of the heating systems are inadequate for the rear passengers. We once had a one ton Ford 15 passenger van with a front and rear heater. We had taken a church youth group up to the snow for a fun play day. I had a fun group of well behaved teenagers in the van, when I had the rear heater on there was no way to get heated air to the windshield. I would leave the heater on until I could hardly see out the windshield, than turn on the defroster (which would cut off the heat to the rear heater), until they kids in the back seat complained it was getting cold there (it was about 20 def F outside).

I thought what idiot HVAC engineer at Ford thought that I would not need the defroster when I needed rear heat. You would think they would actually try out their own systems before they complete the design. It would not cost a thing to have the ability to defrost at teh same time you have the heater running. having 15 people talking, singing and breathing in the van gives off a lot of moisture, to condense on the windows, including the windshield. if we kept the van i was going to rewire the switches so I can have both on at the same time, easy fix. but I should not have to be redesigning the heating system on the van, they should have known better. makes me mad I had to struggle with it at all.

Rear passenger comfort always seems like an after thought, or they did not think about it at all (even on a 15 passanger window van).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)