Different Cv joints?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
majesty
My tercel:: 1987

Different Cv joints?

Post by majesty »

Im a little confused here.

I was trying to change my outer cvjoint today, and when i got it out from the car i saw that it wasnt replaceable as seen in picture. What kind of options do i have? I was suppose to fot the al25 actually upp to 86 i have an 87 but i read the estate continued to 87 at least here in sweden.

I cant see where i can the split the other cv joint either?! As i thought i atleast could clean and put a new rubber boot on from the other side at least..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: Different Cv joints?

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I've only ever replaced the entire assembly, but always assumed that they aren't rebuildable. It's also worth noting that the whole shafts are sold as left or right, so there are differences between each side.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

The CV joint you have is prob. for the later transverse-engine Tercels- ours are not serviceable. If you want to change the outer boot, you have to disassemble the inner joint.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it depends I think of the brand of cv axle, some can be replaced, others you have to replace the whole axle assembly. most shops do not service CV joints, if a boot is torn they replace the whole axle assembly with one with new boots, bearings, etc.

It saves labor, and usually lower risk of a failed CV joint they would have to warranty repair.

If you shop carefully on line, you can buy new (not remanufactured) cv axle assemblies for about $60, sometimes less if you catch a close out price on Rockauto or partsgeek.

I would advise against buying remanufactured axle assemblies, they are all unreliable and not worth the trouble,unless you have no choice. Buy new axle assemblies if you can find them.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)