Replaceable EGR valves ?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Replaceable EGR valves ?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

Now there isnt a EGR valve on my car.

Its difficult to find a Tercel EGR valve at the local market.

What are the replaceable EGR valves for my car?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Replaceable EGR valves ?

Post by Petros »

they have not made those in many years. I am not aware of any new replacement once available anywhere.

they can be taken out and cleaned and made to work again. OTOH, it will run without it at all, it can be removed and the holes plugged. make sure all of the holes are capped or plugged or it will not run properly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Previous owner has removed it. So I dont have it. So holes are already sealed and closed.

I think EGR valves helps the environment and also for the emission tests.

If there is any EGR valve that match for the holes and with the same size, could it be connected customizing the connecting hoses?

For example. something like that of Toyota Camry.

s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I think any EGR valve you can adapt will work, it is just a vac operated valve that allows exhaust gases to circulate back into the intake manifold. it only opens during certain driving conditions with is controlled by the vac line. it also incorporate an over pressure check valve to prevent backfires from pressuring the intake manifold. it is a fairly simple device, I do not see why any one for a similar sized engine (1.5 to 2.2 Liter) would not work properly.

I am not so sure of the environmental benefit, it does reduce the parts per million of certain pollutants in the exhaust, which is what they check. but the use of it reduces efficiency, which means you have to burn more fuel to travel the same distance. That means the parts per distance (km or mile) of pollution will go up since you are burning more fuel to go the same distance. Standard emissions test do not check parts per km driven, but parts per million of exhaust. I studied this when in engineering school, and discovered the laws passed here are determined by lobbyists who work for big corporations, not based on best available scientist.

That is a moot point if you must pass a yearly emissions test, so you will need to find one that works for your car. Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

I can understand your point. Actually I passed the emission test with present engine without an EGR valve.

So it seems it wont be an advantage to have a EGR valve.

Thanks for saving my money.