cause of stiff ride?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

cause of stiff ride?

Post by dlb »

Sometimes when the rear tires on my '99 RAV4 hit bumps or potholes, it's as if there's zero suspension in the back. It hits hard and makes a loud BANG. The springs are good and there's tons of ride height back there, and I can't find anything else that is suspect -- all the bushings and whatnot appear good. I've bounced the back end while stationary and the shocks seem fine but I undid both sides to test them anyway, and I think they're ok but am not sure what else could be causing the problem. They look relatively new (still have stickers on them), and when I compress and extend them by hand, they do so smoothly. So my guess is that they are simply too stiff and not compressing much when needed, like maybe they are a heavy duty shock and I don't haul much heavy stuff? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I did the good old google search but couldn't find much useful info, mostly just ads and info for people who have the opposite problem from me and want to make their ride stiffer. No thanks, I'd probably lose my teeth then.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: cause of stiff ride?

Post by jimcrazy »

i am on my 3rd rav that i run for winter beaters and plowing,,,2 were 99s and 1- 2000, all 3 of them road rough,,there are just short and bounce along,,this winter is the worst put 225-70- studded winter on it rough and noisy ,,but they will move snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the first gen Rav4 rides like a truck, kind of stiff. OTOH, if your rear shocks have not been relaced,they are now 20 years old. a bounce test is not really a good test anymore, there is specific valving that has to work in both directions on rebound, if they are worn out you will get a harsh ride. I notice this on other cars I have owned, they drive fine on paved roads, but each rough road or chuck hole I hit are like someone slammed the bottom of the car with giant sledge hammer.

I suspect you may just need new rear struts. You might check with a Rav4 forum, but on our other cars this has been the case.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Thanks, gents. Maybe I'll ask at the parts store if they can get me some shocks that give a softer ride.