swapping engines

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

can i swap the 4age engine that came out of a manual transmission corolla gts to a automatic tercel? And can i convert my manual to automatic? i ask cause im getting old...just turned 40 and i walk 5-8 miles a day and my knees hurt from so much walking and shifting...i also smoke and drink coffee on the way to work and well it sucks sometimes having to shift all the time.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

yeah, i prefer automatics myself, that's why they made em!! i don't really know much about it, but i'm betting that it's possible. Check back every now and then, ppl more experienced than I will give you a great answer :lol:
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

The swap should be no problem engine-wise, it's the wiring and ecu swap that will cause you fits. Although I have heard that there will need to be some 'creative adjustments' to the firewall. But the tranny should bolt up fine, the 4a blocks are a direct swap for the 3a, and are all about the same. Just make sure you have all the parts from the old engine (flywheel, torque converter, etc.).

See now, I am opposite, I want to swap my auto for a manual, the auto tranny, while nice and easy to drive, will substantially cause this car to be one of the slowest accelerating cars you have driven, well at least that I have driven.

I would love to do the 4age swap, probably will once I get my 78 Corolla SR5 fixed up.

Good Luck!
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I might be totally wrong, but it is possible that you will need to use the MR2 automatic transmission 4age ECU. I think the ECUs might have some differences between manual and auto transmissions. Worth checking into first anyhow.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Bolting an automatic to a 4AGE should be illegal. :P
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I want to find a rolled Celica Alltrac and transplant the entire drivetrain into my Terc. Talk about a super sleeper. Let those bastards laugh at my 'cute little car'....
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

If one really wants to trade a 6 speed for a 3 speed, not much stands in the way other than logic and reason. And the engine flexplate, tranny cooler lines, throttle linkage, rad for the automatic. I wouldn't expect the Tercel 4WD auto to last long behind a 4A-GE. The standard could take it if you don't do really insane clutch pops, but I wouldn't expect much from the auto. The pump and whatever else might complain about having to go 8,000 rpm.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I've been wondering about the 3 speed automatics for a while now but I have 2 things in conclusion- the 3 speed is only available on the deluxe models, right? The other one is that I wonder how awful is the 3 speed in terms of performance. My dad had to switch to an auto car because he's tired now of driving manuals and hadn't driven an auto since his '72 Mustang Mach 1 days. His Chrysler Horizon was manual (worst car he ever had, according to what he says), his 85 Nissan Sentra XE coupe was 5 speed and his 83 of course had to be the 6 speed (as I know there was never an 83 4WD auto, but an 84 auto). Now he has a Corolla with the 3 speed auto because he's tired of driving now and needs to worry less about shifting.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"