Broken Clutch Cable

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
J Dumarais
My tercel:: Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon '86 & Jose 87' Tercel 4WD Wagon

Broken Clutch Cable

Post by J Dumarais »

I was rumbleling around winter today having fun!
Until my clutch cable snap! I try to Jimmy riged it with a rope but it seems to me that the gear dont want to enter went car is running.
The lever on the bell housing feel all right to me

Is there something i miss? Will it works if i get the proper cable? Is there easier alternatives to find cable. Do something with the clutch or Tranny could went wrong?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Broken Clutch Cable

Post by teranfirbt »

Rock Auto lists a replacement cable for our cars, but you might want to get a couple. The first one I bought ended up having the crimped on metal ends backward, and it was cheap enough to not be worth the money or hassle to just buy a 2nd.
J Dumarais
My tercel:: Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon '86 & Jose 87' Tercel 4WD Wagon

Post by J Dumarais »

Thanks for the tip, but Rockauto doen't Worth it so much in Canada with shipping, So i'm still looking for alternative for fixing it.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I've been able to change the length of throttle cables by getting new stainless cable (Wire rope in this case), feeding through the housing, cutting to length, and then welding a fresh barrel on the end, but I don't know how it would work out with the loop on the transmission end. I suppose if you got the equipment you could figure out how to solder it on a new cable, but at that point it's probably much less expensive to order a new cable...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

of there is any stretch in the cable it will be difficult/impossible to shift it. the proper cable is very stiff and likely why you have trouble with your temporary repair.

it is perhaps possible to fabricate a workable cable with swaged on cable ends, but likely just buying a replacement, even a used one, is much less troublesome.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)