Entry point of wiring to Back-up light switch

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Entry point of wiring to Back-up light switch

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon (AL25RG-ZWFDS) RHD car.

My back-up light switch of my car was not working. Back-up light switch on the Gear Box left detached. There is no wiring towards that switch. This could have cut somewhere on its way. This Gear box is a replaced one. At the replacement, that wiring could have happened.

In order to activate the Back-up lights I need to trace the wiring towards the switch upto its cut location. Then I can extend the wiring again towards the switch.

I searched in Internet and in wiring diagrams to find the entry point of wiring from the switch to the chassis/body.

I someone who have done repairs on back-up light wiring, please tell me the entry point of the wiring to the chassis/body from the switch. Also the location of the fuse of the back-up light (whether on the driver side fuse panel or on the passenger side panel) would be important.

Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Entry point of wiring to Back-up light switch

Post by Petros »

As I recall, there is a sub wire harness for the trans wires. One is the back up light, one is the "EL" indicator on the dash (only on the '85 and newer models), and the 4wd indicator light for when 4wd is engaged.

As I recall, all of them go from the trans into the mainwire bundle at the left front fender just under the fuse box area in the engine compartment. there is a messy intersection there with wires going to the oil pressure indicator, the temp gauge, the alternator, the engine ground wires, the brake master level indicator, and a few other items there. The back up wire should go into the bundle at that point, than the big fat black wrapped bundle disappears into the fender well behind the battery.

you will have to search the wire diagram for your car to locate the color wire that comes from the back up lights. the insulation gets brittle on the old wiring, and sometimes cracks off and either rounds out, or breaks off the wires. you have to locate it and do a repair splice. at worst, you can run a new wire under the carpet to the rear back up lights and splice it in under the side panels.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Re: Entry point of wiring to Back-up light switch

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you very much for your guide.

With your guidance I found them below the main fuse box. There was a detached pair of wires hanging. These were red wires with end-clips which were wrapped with insulation tapes. when they were connected to each other, Back-up light was glowing.

So I extended them in a insulation tube towards the switch and connected.

At least even I didnt suspect that these wires can come from the front harness. I was thinking that these could come from a point in the chassis.

Thank you again.