Misfire running on 3cylinders

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
majesty
My tercel:: 1987

Misfire running on 3cylinders

Post by majesty »

Hi! I recently bought my first tercel and having some problems, one is that the engine wants to run on only 3 cylinders, especially on idle. I also feel it alot when driving, especielly when on small amount of throttle or releasing throttle it really feels bad like it is misfire or just dont wanna run properly. Full throttle seems to be no problem.

I know it is especially one cylinder that doesnt fire well and thats the one up front with the longest ignition cable. It doesnt make any difference when i pull that plug. I have changed both cable and spark plug with no difference, i wont fire. when pulling the cable to that cylinder it jumps alot of sparks so it seems like it has some voltage.

The compression seems pretty even on all 4 cylinders. Can the carb or some of the vacuum lines make just one of the cylinders behave like that?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Misfire running on 3cylinders

Post by rer233 »

Ruptured AAP diaph allowing raw fuel to run into #1 cyl intake runner. Welcome to the club- where are you located?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
majesty

Post by majesty »

Thank you!

I will check that up, thanks! Is it possible to plug the AAP, or is it very important?

Im living in Sweden and i dont have all the emission control system as some (most? ) of you are.
majesty

Post by majesty »

Now it is plugged, and as you said there were the AAP was raptured. And it is running on all 4 now!
I felt it hesitates on accelleration when cold (i read it had the purpose to fix that) so a new one wouldnt be a bad idea.
But dont know from where?

Thanks for the help!
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

looks like you have it solved. The AAP is only necessary for cold start ups, once warm it is cut out of the system by the thermal vac switch on the coolant outlet (the TVSV). the simple fix is to cap both ends of the vac line, and just deal with the hesitation when you have to start it when it is well below freezing. you might be able to repair the diaphragm with some skilled creativity, but it is a fairly simple repair if you can locate a replacement diaphragm.

Post some pictures of your car when you get a chance. Nice to have you on the forum.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)