Transmission stuck

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Transmission stuck

Post by JDNightFox »

I parked my car on Wednesday when I left for Arizona and I came back to below freezing temps here. I left it in first gear and when I went to leave for work this morning it’s stuck in first

is that just because of the low temps? I had to take my other car and driving it around slowly didn’t fix it
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Transmission stuck

Post by NWMO »

JD,

When you say "stuck" in first gear, do you mean the gear shift will not move from 1st?

If this is the case, the problem may correct itself with warmer temps, but would indicate enough water in the transmission/gear housing to freeze and hold some portion of the shift mechanism. Not uncommon on old tractors that are continually left outside, but I've not heard of it with a car. Otherwise, I would suspect the shift mechanism has become bound due to misalignment of some type??
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

mines frooze right now,,keep it inside my shop at nite move it out in the morning,its -8 c or 18 f today so sitting out side i have 1st and 2nd ,,i know theres water in the shifter housing that is freezing up,,not the first time its happened
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Very common problem. Shifter boots are usually bad in these cars. You might be shocked how ugly it can get in a wet shifter box even before problems are evident. Also plan on the shifter bushings, it's likely that rust has accelerated wear on them if age hasn't done that already.

If you let it idle long enough, it should melt free. If you are in a hurry, 4wd donuts on your neighbors lawn. :twisted:
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Haha thanks guys

I replaced all the seals on it and have only put about 3000 miles on it since I did that in 2015, I do keep it outside though and I’m pretty sure the shift boot was replaced too

It has all new oil in it but would the water have gotten in to the actual shifter column?

The shift bushing is also new so I dont have any slop in it
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Weird that a good boot would allow freeze up. Hopefully water is the cause. Anything else could be much more involved. Pulling the stick is easy enough to take a peek inside. Not really sure if it seeps down over time, but I fill the shiftbox with gear oil when servicing. I'm guessing they are somewhat separate as I've had pristine gear oil in the trans but a shiftbox loaded with rust and some water.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Well I have driven through deep water so maybe it has leaked in

I disassembled my trans so I know what they mean when they say the compartment is separate (very weird though)

Mine was dry and full of graphite powder when I removed the top to it. But I guess I need a new shift boot
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

thanks for the link Tom,

It's good to know there is a separate compartment and access isn't bad, should it become necessary. Making some progress on the Rusty Frog, so it shouldn't be much longer now.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if the problem only happens when it is below freezing, it is almost certainly water in the shift mechanism freezing up. this is a separate compartment that should not affect the gear box. remove the outer shift boot, and the smaller one on the gear box housing, and remove the large circlip holding in the shft lever and take a look inside. blow out any moisture and fill with grease and gear oil. If necessary you can fabricate a workable shift boot from a piece of bicycle inner tube with cable ties to seal it off.

the only other time that I have seen the shift lever lock up is when worn parts in the shift linkage, internal to the trans, allows something to slip out of place. this will take removing the trans and disassembling it to fix/replace the worn parts. I have seen that several times, and it was unrelated to temperature.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

if you pull the shifter cover assy and there is no water in there
try shifting with a large screwdriver
you should be able to move the shift bar in and out
I had one tercel that had a very rusty shift bar (where it goes into tranny) that would not move at all. I had to work it free by spraying penetrating oil .
it took a while to free it up
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.