CV axle interior bearings

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

CV axle interior bearings

Post by JDNightFox »

Has anyone thought about replacing the bearings that contact the cv axle inside the hub? I was talking to one of my friends a while ago and he has the same issue we have with replacing the CV axle seals and it still leaking, so he checked the bearings and found they were worn and allowing the axle to rotate in a non circular path which allowed leaking past the seal

I pushed on my CV axles today and both sides have looseness in the radial direction so has anyone replaced these bearings before? And how hard would it be?

They are labeled "side bearing" on the diagram on page MT-71 but I'm having a hard time finding a part number for them
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: CV axle interior bearings

Post by jimcrazy »

there is no bearing to support the axle,it runs in the carrier housing,i replaced the crown gear and carrier in mine last summer you could wiggle the axle around and the hole were the axle goes in was worn about .01 larger out close to the seal,the tapered bearings inside support the carrier housing.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

jimcrazy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:41 pm there is no bearing to support the axle,it runs in the carrier housing,i replaced the crown gear and carrier in mine last summer you could wiggle the axle around and the hole were the axle goes in was worn about .01 larger out close to the seal,the tapered bearings inside support the carrier housing.
so the part labeled "side bearing" is for the carrier housing and not the CV shaft? I kinda see what you mean on the diagram. If those bearings are worn it would still allow a bit of wiggling
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

if those bearing were loose enough to move around the crown gear and pinion would be noisy and whining,
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

mine was not leaking but a had a small vibration that came and went when the axle would get whipping around
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

jimcrazy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:56 pm mine was not leaking but a had a small vibration that came and went when the axle would get whipping around
Yeah I guess so. I found the part number for it at least, 90366-35002
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

i still have my old crown gear on the shelf,will post some pics of the carrier tomorrow
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

just did a quick search on a few toyota parts site and says discontinued part,,will pull the bearings and see if they cross over to a timken number
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

jimcrazy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:58 pm just did a quick search on a few toyota parts site and says discontinued part,,will pull the bearings and see if they cross over to a timken number
So our main concern is if the carrier diameter matches the CV shaft diameter to prevent any looseness?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

yes,the axles measures .985 or 25mm where it runs in the diff,my old one measured .996 out close to the seal and .988 back in further,,,i measured a few diffs i have and the one i used was .987 a lot tighter and not much movement with the axle installed
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

jimcrazy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 pm yes,the axles measures .985 or 25mm where it runs in the diff,my old one measured .996 out close to the seal and .988 back in further,,,i measured a few diffs i have and the one i used was .987 a lot tighter and not much movement with the axle installed
Yeah I might just need to get some new CV's that have the right diameter... or figure out how to increase diameter on mine
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

the axles wont be wore may be .001 but the carrier is cast it will wear first,if you know a good machinist it could be bored and bushed with a bronze bushing,there is a oil groove cut in the hole,,
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

You can try replacing the bearings in either side of a CV axle on a Tercel, either way you're setting yourself up for a catastrophic failure. The play is from wear and wallowing in the bearing gateways.The amount of time to remachine for a larger diameter bearing in the gateways and then reheattreat is not worth the $65 for a properly reman'd unit. Also figure if your rebearing'd CV has any failure it will most likely either seize or break free, both possibilities probably totaling the car.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It appears some of you are thinking he was referring to the bearing inside the front diff assy, but he said it is in the hub.

to be clear, are you talking about the outer bearing, at the steering knuckle? or are you talking about play at the inboard end of the axle, at the side of the trans?

if either bearing is bad enough to wipe out the seal the must be replaced or you will trash the rest of the assembly. the outboard bearing at the hub, or steering knuckle, is a straight forward job but the best thing to do with that is remove the steering knuckle assembly from the strut and lower arm, and take it to a good auto machine shop pay them to replace the bearing and seals with proper tools. I have done it by hand, it is a lot of work and damaging it is likely. misalignment while installing the bearing or seal is easy and it could damage the bearing seat or seal. You will not know it is damaged, and it will not take long to fail once you put it back on the road. most machine shops will only charge about $40-50. to replace it after you remove it from the car and bring it to them.

If the inboard bearing is shot in the side of the differential assembly, it has to come out of the car to replace it. After you replace the carrier baring you will have to reset the bearing lash on the ring and pinion. This is a big job, and if done improperly you could trash your ring and pinion gear, and risk damage to the trans. if the diff assy is bad, best option to locate a good used front diff/bell housing assembly and replace the whole thing as a unit.

good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

One thing on the differential, the shims that are required to set gear lash are no longer available from Toyota. I spent a long time looking for them when I first tore into my transaxle for an inspection and found the differential to have twice as much lash as spec from Toyota. When the original diff broke, I then had to get creative to set the lash in the replacement.

The side that needed to the thicker (ring side) was fairly easy, I ended up buying some thin generic shims off McMaster, cut the outer diameter to ~match the factory shim, and then stacked them in place.

For the side that needed to be thinner, I slowly milled the surface ~.002" at a time until the shim was .001" thicker than I wanted, then took it to sandpaper wet with WD40 on a flat surface (extra piece of granite counter I had laying around) to clean up the mill marks and get the thickness just right.

It was a tedious job and I have a mill, so didn't cost me anything but time. I imagine a local machine shop would do the work for less than $50 if you described what you wanted carefully.