Aftermarket Stereo question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Turdcelbrother
My tercel:: 1987 tercel 4wd sr5

Aftermarket Stereo question

Post by Turdcelbrother »

Looking to replace the original tape deck headunit in my 87’tercel. I’ve got an aftermarket jvc unit and beforehand I start tearing things apart I’d like to make sure I have everything I need.

I’ve never replaced such so it’s all very new to me.
Is it a matter of disconnecting the old unit and copying the plug ins for the new one?
Is there some sore of adapter I’ll need to make things work?

Thanks,
Andrew
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Aftermarket Stereo question

Post by BaileySims »

Screenshot_2018-12-15-21-17-43.png
You will need this.
As soon as you have that adapter, connect the ends of the wires to the ends of the harness that comes out of the aftermarket radio. It's all color coated so it's quite difficult to make a mistake.

Once it's all wired up, all you do is plug the adapter in and bolt the stereo down and you'll be good to go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

My experience is that early and late model cars have different size connectors in the radio wiring harness. Late ('87 and '88) cars have small plugs, and early ('83-'85) cars have larger ones. Not sure about '86 (I've only had one of them and sold it 22 years ago without ever fooling with the radio.) A few years ago I went to the boneyard and snagged a radio out of a '96 Corolla and put it in my "good" '87- bolted in same as original and plugs were identical.

Good Luck- hope this helps.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is somewhere on-line where you can order custom adapter connectors for car radios. you send in year make and model of the car, and also of the radio unit. for about $20 they will send you a short adapter cord with the correct mating connectors on each end of the adapter. This is what most auto sterio shops do so you can swap back in the factory radio if desired (like when you sell the car).

Or, if you can locate the mating adapters yourself, you can make one simple enough. You will need to study the wire digram for your model/year of your car and the one for the new stereo and make it work. I have done this with just the correct new stereo connector, and than just put on blade type contacts for the wire ends that gets plugged into the car's existing connector (on to the appropriate blade contact). Not as convenient to remove, but I usually wrap that end with electrical tape so the individual wire contacts do not get pulled out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)