Fuel delivery problem

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ellisdee
My tercel:: 1985 wagon

Fuel delivery problem

Post by Ellisdee »

I am stumped, my 85 wagon started missing and then quit completely on a recent trip, I narrowed it down to a fuel delivery problem. After replacing the fuel filter, the fuel pump, and rebuilding the carb, the car ran fine for a few days, then it cut out again. I ended up putting an in line electric fuel pump before the manual fuel pump. I have pulled the tank and check it. It’s fine, but I still have to have the electric pump on to get fuel, could the metal lines from the tank be obstructed? Do I need to fill them with solvent then blow them out? Has anyone had this problem?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Fuel delivery problem

Post by Petros »

Are you certain it is a fuel starvation problem? an easy check is to run a fuel line from a gas can directly to the fuel pump on the engine. If it starts and run normally than the fuel line is suspect.

it is rare the fuel line will give you trouble inside the tank. if there is a lot of crud in the tank it will collect around the inlet screen and block it off. blow air down the fuel supply line will clear it temporarily.

Also, if there are any cracks in the fuel line from rust, or in the rubber lines near the fuel pump or fuel filter, up stream of the pump, it will suck air instead of fuel. And it will appear to be a fuel starvation problem.

It is not hard to check inside the tank, you lift the carpet in the back, remove a metal hatch cover, and than unscrews the mount on top of the tank and look inside with a flash light. careful of the fumes, they are dangerously explosive, so do it with good ventilation.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Fuel delivery problem

Post by xirdneh »

i have had a new fuel pump go bad in less than a month.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.