Fuel Tank Baffles

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

Re: Fuel Tank Baffles

Post by rocketscience »

Thanks for the insight, I do already have EFI rated fuel line and clamps.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage did you get with the CBR600 throttle bodies?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Around 28-30 on freeway cruise, 25 or so if I did a lot of city driving. I'd take my mileage numbers with a grain of salt, my right foot is itchy all of the time... For what it's worth, the throttles did an mpg or two better than my Weber carb.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Toyota 6 bolt EFI Fuel Pump sender only fits from the Corolla Coupe GTS AE86s 85-87 inT4WD wagon. Sedan tank isn't as deep. 88 plus went to a larger diameter and 7 bolt pump housing flanges.
There should be baffles in the tank surrounding the pickup and fuel level sender. Not major wall panels but gating.
It's only $156 retail from Toyota plus the cost of a decent efi pump.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
rocketscience
Top Notch Member

Post by rocketscience »

Thanks for the info, I saw that sender part but I bought a Denso inline pump for $45 that I'm gonna use for now. As I remember it it looked like the tank had a little bit of a low spot where the pick up was but I didn't notice anything else, is that what you mean?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

Maybe the later or earlier tanks got baffles? My '86 tank was just a tank, no features inside. I made a custom 5/16" pickup to go with my electric carb pump. Semi amazed it's still holding up, it's pretty much a bulkhead JIC (AN) 90 degree elbow mounted in the top of the tank with a hose and pickup screen hanging on the inside.
rocketscience
Top Notch Member

Post by rocketscience »

What I had read was that the Corolla GTS had baffles in 86-87 but even they didn't have them before that. I didn't find any reports other than Synthdesign's of the SR5's having them, sedans included.

The metro throttle body has a 5/16 input and I was thinking about doing a 5/16 line and fittings and actually bought some but I think the 1/4" will be fine for the 3ac. I'll probably use the vent line for the return.

This is an interesting article I found on the fuel line size subject:
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/02/ ... el-system/
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member

Post by teranfirbt »

whoever wrote that article either doesn't know what they're doing or has a lot of big fuel line to sell... Since most EFI systems regulate pressure at the fuel rail, they only need enough line size to flow enough fuel to keep the injectors saturated... The 4AFE has 175cc/min injectors, which means that even at 100% duty cycle (which it doesn't see...) the fuel pump only has to flow 700 cc/min of fuel (or about 11 gallons/hour). 1/4" line will be fine :)