door inerds question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gotama
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 4X4 toyota tercel SW automatic

door inerds question

Post by gotama »

the handle stuck on the passenger side door and when i took the panel off the mechanism that pushes the rod to undo the latch fell out of its place ..the knearled headed bolt like pivot cam thing was out of its spot on the handle side..got it back in but the mechanism is not held in place by anything..it will fall out again if i slam the door or w/e..im thing of putting a bracket in just to hold the mechanism into place? there was also a spring that fell out..cant figure out how or where that goes..its about 3/4" in diameter..seems to work fine now i lubed up the linkage inside..im leaving it all apart in the meantime
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: door inerds question

Post by splatterdog »

Classic problem. Handle replacement is best as that pivot is molded in to the plastic. Epoxy might work. Keep that pivot lubed everyone!

Another stuck handle problem happens a lot . The metal frame inside of the part you pull up on rusts and bubbles up the plastic covering that binds against the outer frame of the handle. A little shaving with a utility knife can clearance them.

BTW, when the linkage drops, opening the window usually opens the door at about half way down..
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

ah ok explains the knurling on the pivot..thank you!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

i made a bracket to hold the pivot into place using the door skin ribs inside..it will never come out again!..while i have your attn i was checking the trans level today and im down over a quart..musta got hot here over the summer cause it was up before i put the car into storage..dextron 2 is hard to find down here in mexico and i only have 1 quart handy..is there a type of tranny oil i can use thats compatible with my auto trans?
gotama
Advanced Member

Post by gotama »

dextron VI for trans i googled..just put in a new rad and hoses from rockauto..what a deal inc upper n lower hoses..$100 everything
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

another Forum thread w/ relevant info...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12991
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016