Odd PS "Leak/absorption" ?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Odd PS "Leak/absorption" ?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Goldie has never weeped/absorbed more than a drop or two in the 13 years she's owned me.
My Dexron ATF quart has grown cobwebs. Until now (well, sorta "now").
A couple of months ago I noticed a "squeal" that disappeared after a mile or so, but the PS worked normally. Upon getting home, I checked various and finally the PS reservoir, which was quite low.
Uh-Oh ...
Filled it (only took "a bit"), and I checked the pump, rack, and boots, and all were dry, and even placed a piece of cardboard under it overnight, then ran the engine and turned the wheel back and forth - no drops and no squeal. :?:
I am guessing perhaps 700-1,000 miles later ...
Flash to yesterday - the same thing happened and I followed the same procedure as before. Squeal stopped when fluid added, but I did not investigate further (snow falling and too darn cold).
Ideas? I don't think anyone has reported similar before.
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Odd PS "Leak/absorption" ?

Post by rer233 »

Tom-
Check the steel P/S pressure and return lines that run under the radiator ( you'll probably have to remove the gravel tray to access.) I've had 3 wagons develop rusty pin-hole leaks (never did determine whether it was press. or return-just replaced both.) R/A sells the pressure hose, and I made the return from 5/16" (I think) copper tubing I got from a refrigeration supply house. Bit of a PIA, but doable.

Good luck, Rich.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Tom - the other place that PS fluid can disappear to, is inside the rack boots, when the rack end seals fail, fluid will leak into the boot, if the boot seal is good they can fill up like a balloon.
Each boot can hold upwards of a cup of fluid.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks, guys. Will check when snow disappears (no garage).
Since the boots are dry, I had not thought about them retaining fluid. If I had to guess on the amount of fluid I replaced in the two occasions, I'd say maybe a couple of ounces at best.
Tom M..
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain