Rear wiper does not move to a corner when stops

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Rear wiper does not move to a corner when stops

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

Rear wiper of my car doesnt move to a corner when stops. Previously even I switch off the wiper, its movement continues till it comes to the left corner. Now this doesnt happens. It stops on the spot when I switch off.

Wiper is working normally and speed is normal.

Where could be the problem?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Rear wiper does not move to a corner when stops

Post by Petros »

there is an internal switch I think in the motor that occasionally wears out and it just stops where you turn it off. I think if you study the wiring diagram you will see where it is located. IT is the auto stop, that allows the wiper motor to run after the switch is "off" until it is in the parked position.

what you have now it the way the early electric wipers always worked. One of the first cars I worked on was 1949 willis overland, it had a six volt system and wipers that you had to stop when they were in the correct position. before that, wipers were manually operated from a lever inside the windshield (looked like a window crank knob).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thanks. I disassembled the motor and observed. There are two strips of copper that moves around the rotating drum. (This should be the one meant by "Internal Switch"). Its contacts on drum seems to be ok.

In the wiring diagram I found that there is a relay to control this. I couldnt find the location of this relay in the car.

Where would it be located?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it would be either under the hood in that black plastic box full of fusees and other relays, or behind one of the kick panels on either the passenger's or drivers side. I have never had to replace one so I would not know for sure, but I would check the panel under the black box in the engine compartment first (they are labeled on the inside of the cover) because it is easiest to check.

Usually if you study the layout of the wire diagram it will give hints as to where it is located, the lines schematically and generally depict the wire bundle runs.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Problem resolved after cleaning the rotating drum. Grease on the drum prevented the contact of copper strips.

Now the wiper park at a corner.

Thanks.