'88 Tercel automatic won't start....not even a click

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jmoore
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5 1983 Tercel 4wd SR5

Re: '88 Tercel automatic won't start....not even a click

Post by jmoore »

Took apart some of my spare starters and found two contacts that appeared new, swapped them into a motor with good teeth and cleaned everything up, it has started about 10 times in a row, I think that solved the issue. Thanks for the knowledge.
Angel
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 5dr 4wd automatic

Post by Angel »

jmoore wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 pm Petros sorry for the confusion but I am not the original poster...I figured my question was relevant to this topic so I chimed in hoping for answers. I have a loud pronounced click as if the starter is engaging then grounding out or something. I jumped it, still have the same click as before when I reconnect negative terminal. I cleaned the ignition switch terminals as suggested, and then began looking for a relay because it seems like it gets the power then grounds.
If you get a click but no crank it’s likely your starter. Take a piece of pipe or axe handle and thump on your starter a few times then try starting it. If it starts, pull your starter and clean it. If not, thump it harder a few times and try again. If the thumping breaks the starter loose then throw out is gummed up. It could be cleaned.
DannyMack
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4X4

Post by DannyMack »

@petros - sorry to pull up an old post - I'm having a similar problem in my 85 - key turns no crank - I pulled the starter out and bench tested it and worked as it is supposed to - I put it back in - worked for a couple starts and then same problem as before (this was also part of an alternator swap - because o'reilly's said it was bad) - key turns/no crank - but it will crank intermittently - I know it's a bad connection somewhere between ignition switch and starter - how do I narrow it down? with that enclosed starter clip (bayonet clip) i can't put a lead on it to see if the signal is making it through. I guess I'll go through your steps suggested above (jumping the solenoid, checking ignition switch connection, and taking the starter off and going through it.) I'm about to take it in to the shop - so any advice would be helpful.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Dannymack, I recently had a similar issue on my 83. I found that the connection for the starter wire at the battery had a lot of corrosion on it so I cleaned it up and that did the trick. Maybe look there if you haven't already done so.
DannyMack

Post by DannyMack »

dlb wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:25 pm Dannymack, I recently had a similar issue on my 83. I found that the connection for the starter wire at the battery had a lot of corrosion on it so I cleaned it up and that did the trick. Maybe look there if you haven't already done so.
I've tested voltage at the hot post reads same as battery (and during key turn to start -in case of voltage drop) - I've also checked the wire from the ignition on key turn to start (12.16) - So I'm getting adequate voltage to the starter. When I jump the spade clip direct from battery I get a spark but no crank. I'll do a more thorough cleaning of the the battery contacts, but I think also i'll take out the starter again and run some more tests or open it up and check the contacts - could be that it works on the bench but not in place (under load)
DannyMack

Post by DannyMack »

Update: I took apart the starter motor and solenoid and gave it a good cleaning with special attention on the contacts. The brush holder was filthy from brush debris - and the brushes were worn to just under 8mm - put it back on and now she starts fine. Not sure exactly where the failure was occuring, but cleaning seemed to resolve it.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great to hear, enjoy the car!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I just saw our post now, sorry about the delay in answer, but looks like you solved the problem.

IFY, on the starter when checking voltage with a volt meter, at the contacts it may not tell you anything. a weak contact will give you a good reading with it just "on". But with the large demands of the regular start, the weak contact may arch and lose continuity only during cranking. One trick I have seen is put a volt meter on the contact, and have someone crank the engine. if it goes from 12-13 volts down to 3 when you try to crank it, likely it is a weak intermittent contact. the only other thing you can do is check and clean all of the contacts, starting at the battery cables (a common corroded intermittent contact problem), and the ground cables at both the body and the engine. I had once eliminated all of the other sources of problems, than finally took apart my ignition switch, and found all of the inner contacts corroded and pitted. I cleaned them, bent them so they made better contacts, and reinstalled it, so it was finally working again.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)