Cv axles question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
PNWtercel

Cv axles question

Post by PNWtercel »

I need to replace both of my cv axles.
Looking for clarification and recommendation on where the best place to get them from and the highest quality brand.

Thanks!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Re: Cv axles question

Post by JDNightFox »

I've been wondering the same thing since mine still seem to be leaking.

I think I posted a thread a while ago about all the transmission seals and the part number for them, so if you need to replace the seals while you're at it then it's around here somewhere
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you do not have a lot of options, I just find what I can get that is not a remanufactured unit (those I know are junk). I was running Empi that I can get from Rockauto, but I have had several of those fail at relatively low miles. Had one of the inboard cv units develop a bad vibration, that one had much less load on it, must have been defective. It took a while to locate, I would just check the outboard joint since I had never seen a failed inboard cv joint...until I was running Empi axles. I also noticed that the Empis were wearing out faster than the other brands I had run.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I've had GSP from RA in now for 11 years and about 24K miles (being retired, I don't drive that much any more, and with another vehicle to use ...) and have had no problems.
I did have one initial prob on the D/S, though; I did not insert it far enough and it started leaking. It turned out the C-ring was faulty, and a new one solved the problem.
I also installed new seals at the same time and have had no leaks; highly recommended - after all, why do it again to save a few bucks now? See my note on the seals, however! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6484&p=48265&hilit=seal#p48265
I know Advance was selling the GSP under its own label for a while. Perhaps call GSP's North American HQ for info on current vendors.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
asa
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Post by asa »

Just today I took my original OEM axles to CVJ Axles in Denver to get remanufactured. Not cheap at $104 per axle, but I like the old school vibe and their story/history. Also love supporting shops that are still out there repairing stuff instead of replacing.

Will report back, but I assume the true test will be thousands and thousands of miles.

-asa
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I second Tom on replacing axle seals while you are in there.
And make sure you insert the cv shaft all the way so that the C clip snaps into place. I usually tap on the end of the shaft with a mallet or something and give a good tug to make sure it doesn't slide back out. The last one I replaced was not inserted properly (not actually replaced by me, I let a mechanic do it since he was pressing in new wheel bearings so I let him finish the cv axles too). The cv axle slowly slid out until only the last 1/8 inch was inserted. That's the small bit just past the C-clip. Then there was a pop and the car would not go. I drove it home carefully in 4wd (actually now rwd). When I got it apart, the inner 1/8 inch of the cv shaft sheared off and was sitting in the splines inside my differential. I actually managed to get it out with clever use of a coat hanger. The giveaway that there was a problem was the leaking oil from the diff. Might have actually been a bad C-clip like Tom had (it was also the drivers side).
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
asa
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Post by asa »

Freshly remanufactured axles from CVJ Axles in Denver. $94 each. Price dropped somewhere in there from the original quote of $104. Workmanship looks excellent, took less than a day.

For some reason, I like the idea of having the original axles in there that came with the vehicle. For most cars they have remanned ones in the shelf for a swap but they didn’t for the Terc.

-Asa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That is not a bad price if it was done well.

simple hand test: rotate the cv joint around with one hand on each side of the joint, should be smooth with continous contact in all positions. Also rotate hands in opposite directions with joint straight, there should be zero lash or gap when you change directions.

One time the only axles available on short notice locally was remanufactured ones. In the store I opened the box and gave it this simple hand test. One passed the test, the other felt like you were running a metal file across a jagged edge when I rotated it by hand. I insisted on a replacement, the store owner came over (who I knew personally, in fact I had prepared the plans to his house, typical small town experience) and he started to say it could just need to "wear in". I had him rotate the cv axle in his hands, I stated each time the wheel rotates it will be doing that in my car, and asked him if he we would put that in his car. He set it down and said he will order another one for me. This has been my normal experience with remanfuacted cv axles (most were done in Mexico), 50 percent or more are so bad I would not install it.

Might be different for a local rebuilder, they have a reputation to keep up and usually the quality control is excellent. the best re-manufactured starter and clutch I ever had was one I took to the shop where they rebuilt mine. It came with a lifetime guarantee. Unfortunately, these kind of rebuilding shops are getting rare. Fewer people are doing DIY projects and they are compeating with the cheap mass rebuilt junk from outside the country.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)