Is it essential to have the accelerator pedal stopper?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Is it essential to have the accelerator pedal stopper?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

In my car car engine rises too much even with a slight accelerator pedal pushing.

I have a separate Carburetor Accelerator link which has a larger rotation distance (with a large radius)
frame_apngframe0 copy.jpg
If I replace it with the present short radius one, I can speed up the engine more smoothly.

In order to do this I want to adjut the accelerator pedal to increase its movement.

From where should I adjust it?

May I remove the stopper ?
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Is it essential to have the accelerator pedal stopper?

Post by Petros »

the cable tension is adjusted at the mount on the intake manifold, there is no pedal stop as far as I can recall.

but the problem is not the throttle, sounds more like you have a vac leak in the system causing it to act this way. check your systems, vac lines, and vac operated equipment for leaks and function. Also check around the carb base and manifold for a vac leak. possible you are running too rich, and the open throttle causes additional air intake and sudden engine speed up. sometimes a bad AAP (auxiliary acceleration pump) will allow leaking fuel into the TVSV, and into the intake manifold to make it run rich. pull the vac line off to the AAP and check for fuel, if it is wet with fuel, quick temp fix is to cap it off the vac lines from both ends.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you for the advice. This problem was there from the beginning. Before the engine repair. From the day I bought this car I experience a heavy acceleration even with slight pedal change. Smooth driving is difficult.

According to this manual, this car should have a pedal stop. My car have a pedal stop.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1987_T ... _7801.html

Can I bend he pedal arm?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if you used the same carburetor and vac system on the rebuilt engine, it just means you reinstalled the fuel system components that are malfunctioning that causes the problem. It needs to be diagnosed properly and repaired. If it is running rich, it will ruin the engine very quickly.

Rebuilding an engine will not fix all problems, that is why it is important to always diagnose the problem before you try and fix it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)