starter makes loud whining noise

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Rickety Rhino

starter makes loud whining noise

Post by Rickety Rhino »

Hi Folks,
I hear a loud whining/screeching noise when starting up. A few weeks ago it was only when I let go of the key after the motor caught that I heard the noise, now it's louder and I hear it during the entire few seconds it takes to start the engine. The engine starts quickly, the battery is new, and there is no noise after the starter is disengaged. The starter motor moved a very small amount when I pulled back and forth on it, so I tightened mounting bolts; the lower bolt wasn't as tight as the top bolt. But with the bolts as tight as I could get them, the same noise happened when starting. Then I removed the starter motor and it tested OK at an auto store, but I think he just tested it electrically. He said the starter motor gear was somewhat worn (picture). The flywheel appears to have shiny, freshly scraped metal on the front corners of most of the teeth (picture). Do you think the motor isn't disengaging properly? Should I be concerned about possible metal filings in there from the flywheel teeth? I'm not driving the car anymore until I fix this.
Thanks for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rickety Rhino on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smokey The Brake - 1984 4WD, 230K
Rickety Rhino

Re: starter makes loud whining noise

Post by Rickety Rhino »

Here's a picture of the flywheel with the shiny corners of the teeth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YoYoTercel
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4x4 SR5

Post by YoYoTercel »

I have the same symptoms....but it only happened after I changed all the belts on my Tercel. So, I'm assuming the belts might be too tight and causing the screeching sound. But it's only for a short second and all's fine. So I'll live with it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

check your fan belts, just to make sure it was not a coincidence with the starter problem.

OTOH, the wear on the flywheel was likely caused by the starter misalinment, but it should be okay to use it as it is. when the bolts are properly tightened the starter gear should be aligned properly.

Once last possibility it the bendix drive is going bad and making noise. that is the internal clutch in the starter gear that allows the engine to start while the starter is still engaged and not have the starter motor spin up. If it is not the belt, nor the misalignment, than the bendix drive might be the cause. you can replace just the bendix drive gear, or replace the hole starter.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Rickety Rhino

Post by Rickety Rhino »

The fan belts are tightened correctly. It sounds like bad bearings in the starter motor, according to my neighbor who's an auto repair instructor. I found a better angle to get the mounting bolts tight, and now it doesn't move the slightest amount. Like Petros says, probably the wear on the flywheel was due to the lower mounting bolt being slightly loose. I'll replace the motor soon, and hopefully that will fix the loud whining noise. Thanks for the help!