Timing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Timing

Post by JDNightFox »

Occasionally when I shut my car off it sputters and fires a few more times before finally shutting off. Is this a symptom of a timing issue?

I know the timing is probably off already because the previous owner did some hack job with the crank pulley because it was loose and it had about 10 degrees of free play in either direction (also the bottom timing dust cover is off so I can’t even see what it’s set at currently)

By the way does anyone have a crank pulley and/or bottom timing cover in good condition

How can I set the timing without seeing what it is?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Timing

Post by xirdneh »

I have the bottom cover
is the crank pully loose because the vulcanized rubber broke free or because it is loose on crankshaft. if its crankshaft the key hole may be enlarged or crank chipped. in that case you may have to get another crankshaft.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

xirdneh wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:45 pm I have the bottom cover
is the crank pully loose because the vulcanized rubber broke free or because it is loose on crankshaft. if its crankshaft the key hole may be enlarged or crank chipped. in that case you may have to get another crankshaft.
It’s loose on the crank, there’s a second keyhole cut into it so it can turn and lock in place (which is why it can rotate)

Whoever did the timing belt on it for the previous owner must have done something, they spot welded the crank pulley bolt onto the pulley, removed the timing cover, and then later the welds separated one day and I couldn’t figure out why the pulley started rattling all of a sudden

I put a washer on it and it’s tight now but it wobbles visibly as the engine is running
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

"It’s loose on the crank, there’s a second keyhole cut into it so it can turn and lock in place (which is why it can rotate)"
i am not sure i understand this
sounds like the original keyhole in crank was bad so a new keyhole was cut and now its loose
is the new keyhole now bad too?
why would someone weld the pulley bolt to the pulley?
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

with the bolt tightened down all the way the pulley would still be loose so the welded the pulley onto the bolt
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Damn. I gave away my complete short block because I could find parts to put it back together. I do have a crank pulley, but it is a weird v belt style one. Let me know if you can use it.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

BaileySims wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:55 am Damn. I gave away my complete short block because I could find parts to put it back together. I do have a crank pulley, but it is a weird v belt style one. Let me know if you can use it.
Mine is the triple belt one, I don’t know what the difference is (mine is an 86)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

I'll post a pic when I get home from work.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

I don’t know if it’s that the pulley / crank is worn, it fits fine but the bolt just won’t tighten the pulley to it (and it wobbles) so maybe the crank is worn
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you need to get the pulley off of it and get a look at the crank. there may be a way of repairing it on the vehicle, but likely sounds like you need to replace both the crank and the pulley. the 4a and 3a cranks are identical, so it is should be easy to find a replacement. Not sure about the pulley, you may need one from a 3ac engine.

Might be just as well to find a good tuning replacement engine, the 4ac (from corrolla) is more common and a bolt in replacement, gives you more power and a more reliable head gasket.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

I pulled this one off the motor I found at the junkyard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

BaileySims wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 pm I pulled this one off the motor I found at the junkyard.
Yeah that looks like mine

Petros it’s working okay as is with the washer, but I would like to still check the timing which I can’t do due to the second keyhole
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Set the no 1 piston so it is all the way up. You can insert a screwdriver into sparkplug hole while rotating crank back and forth with a ratchet, you can feel when piston is at highest point. Then mark the pulley at zero with the timing belt cover marks.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Can someone post a picture of their rotor position relative to the engine block? Mine is tilted back at a 15° angle it looks like, and my crank notch is at almost a 45 when the timing light goes off

(I know the pulley wasn’t rotated that much when I installed it)
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.