Timing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Re: Timing

Post by JDNightFox »

jimcrazy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:19 pm,,
Ok thanks for the help but I’m dumb. I meant to say the whole distributor assembly. With the flat top of the valve cover at 12 o’clock, the distributor is at 2 oclock. Is that normal or should it also be at 12? I’m guessing right now until I can get a new pulley / other means of marking the timing

so far my car is showing symptoms of the timing being off:
-hard starting when the engine is hot
-sputters and fires a few times after the engine is shut off
-has pretty much no power
-bad gas mileage

etc
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Alright just got the pulley off, thanks to BaileySims for getting me those parts

It looks like something funky happened to my pulley and they had a shop machine off the keyway slot, my key was loose and I just pulled it out to find out it’s damaged so I’m looking for a new one

What is the part number or where can I get one?

from looking at my pulley, it looks like at some point the bolt came loose which caused the pulley to start bouncing around, so the mating surface is worn down heavily which is why it wouldn’t tighten down all the way and is wobbling. The new pulley is rigid against the mating surface so I think this should fix jt

Edit: Just found my own woodruff key and posted another thread about it.
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member

Post by JDNightFox »

Just finished putting my car back together with all the new parts. New pulley fits perfectly and there's no wobble in it at all! Thanks again Bailey!

It turns out my crank pulley was missing the belt guide also so thanks for giving me that one also. No wonder this pulley wouldn't screw down, it had about 0.010 missing off the flange side, wasn't level, and there was no belt guide so it had too much extra play.

Also, major derp moment for me... the new pulley is a triple V belt style whereas my original one was two V belts and one groove belt. Oh well, I put it on anyway and the belt fits in the slot and hasn't flown off (yet)

Step two is now in the works. Timing is currently set to what looks like 13-14 degrees BTDC, with or without the vacuum line pulled on the distributor. There is no vacuum coming out of it which means I now need to go over all the vacuum lines too.

What's the best timing to set on it? I read both 10 degrees BTDC and 12 degrees BTDC