Valve stem seals and gasket, 1BBL or 2BBL? With Weber 32/36 install?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Terpocalypse
My tercel:: 86/87

Valve stem seals and gasket, 1BBL or 2BBL? With Weber 32/36 install?

Post by Terpocalypse »

Hello everyone, new member here, many recommendations.
I have an 86 Sr5 with a 32/36 weber. was my first buy and died of Bone rot early.
I now have an 87 cherry red Wagon, unknown model yet. The Cherry wagon needs the valve stem seals done.
i want to put my weber from the 86 in at the same time. I am looking up parts for the job and came across 1BBL or 2BBl options.
if i am putting a weber in, what should i consider changing when i do that. should i convert all gasket and seals to 2BBL. ??
Are there any other parts i should consider upgrading besides seals gaskets and of course a low pressure electric fuel pump.
I just noticed that there is also a Holly pressure gauge, possibly fuel regulator in the 86 installed prior. should i swap that over as well, since i know the full system works ( with all emissions stuff ripped out... not really a concern. I live deep in the mountains of BC. i will also transfer exhaust system over to the 87. no catalytic converter. i believe a 2 inch pipe and what looks like a dirt bike muffler.... it sounds good, deep voice for a small car. :)
i will try to get some pictures soon.

i really just dont want to miss something i was supposed to convert that will later bite me in the @$$.
any help thoughts or tips would be welcome. thanks all.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Valve stem seals and gasket, 1BBL or 2BBL? With Weber 32/36 install?

Post by xirdneh »

There is a youtube video on replacing stem seals without removing the head for toyota tercel 4wd.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Terpocalypse

Post by Terpocalypse »

i believe i have seen that one.
I have been watching lots and reading lots in preparation but i dont fully understand the difference beween 1bbl or 2bbl seals
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

what is 1bbl or 2bbl?
what are they for?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

no Tercels were ever sold in North America with one barrel (1bbl) carbs, all are two barrel (2bbl).

there is an extensive and detailed thread on installing and jetting the Weber carb in the Tercel, you will have to search the archives. You will need to regulate the fuel pressure down to make the webers work, if you use the nominal fuel pressure directly from the stock pump, it will over pressure the weber float bowl and end up flooding the engine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

He seems to be saying 1bb and 2bb in reference to seals.
Im not sure what he is trying to tell us
Terpocalypse

Post by Terpocalypse »

when i look at new seals, various parts or even axle bearings. there are always two options, single barrel or double barrel.
I am under the impression the oem carb is a single barrel. the 32/36 weber is a double barrel. my understaniung is that when you have a 2bbl carb oppose to a 1bbl it puts more stress on the rest of the car. by upgrding anything that has an option of 1bbl or 2bbl your eliminating that as a weakness in theory.
when i look down the throat of the oem carb i see a single choke or one tube & little paddle thingy. (very technical jargon..yes.) when i look down the weber i see two throats and two chokes.. paddle.. thingy.. sorry brain farting.

the weber i have on my 86 comes with a holly fuel regulator. same engine as well. direct swap, replicate what is already there.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

every 83-88 tercel i have messed with had the 2 barrel carb. at least 30 tercels