engine stops with climbing a hill

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

engine stops with climbing a hill

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

Car engine was newly repaired. Then there was a white smoke emission. It was corrected after head gasket re-installation.

Now there is no white smoke. Engine sound is also good.

But the problem is engine stops when climbing even a minute angle. When idling there is no such a stop.

Also there is a spitting through the carb when climbing.

What could be the problem?

Additional Data:
Timing was set that the rotating piece in the distributer is on the cut in the distributer assembly when the cam pulley hole is on the middle mark and the cut in the crankshaft-alternator pulley on the 20 (not the 0) mark of the cover.
Exhaust and intake manifold gaskets are properly sealed.
Last edited by Dumindu on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: engine stops with climbing a hill

Post by dlb »

First thing I would check the fuel level in the carb. If the bowl is low, it can cause the engine to cut out on corners. I've never heard of it occurring on hills but it's the same idea so I'd look there.

Park the car on level ground. Remove the air filter housing. On the front of the carb, part way down the carb body, is a small window. It will probably be very dirty so you will need to wipe it clean to see the fuel level in there. The fuel level should be in the middle of the glass. If you cannot see the fuel level, rock the car from side to side and watch for the fuel sloshing around in there.

If you still can't see it, try parking the car pointing downhill and check again.

Good luck!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

could be fuel starvation caused by partially blocked fuel filter, clean it out, or replace it. or could be cracked or leaky fuel line up stream of the fuel pump (the part of the line under vacuum). A leak or crack may not show leaking fuel but allows air to get sucked into the fuel line, causing fuel starvation.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Fuel level on the car is at the bottom level of the window. As you said, it is not in the middle level of the window.
Untitled-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, it is fuel starved. several problems can cause it, bad fuel pump, leaky fuel line, blocked fuel filter, clogged screen on the pickup in the fuel tank. systematically check each item, and than fix it.

Fuel filters are cheap, could replace that if it needs one anyway.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you for your valuable advice.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

did the engine idle nice and sound smooth when revved before you did the headgasket?
does it idle nice and sound smooth when revved now?
if it is not nice and smooth i would look at timing again (dist rotor should point northwest when 1st piston is on top of power stroke. that means piston is at highest point and the valves are closed)
did carb get flipped upside down while doing the headgasket?
if it ran fine before the headgasket fix i would assume the fuel pump and filter and gas tank filter are ok
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

I replaced a fuel filter with a new. Now the fuel level of the carb at the middle of the window.

But the problem still exists.

Before the head gasket re-install the engine sound was somewhat like that of a old tipper. But there wasnt a spitting through carb (backfire). Before I didnt checked the climbing.

Now the engine sound is so smooth. Now its likes that of a car.

While the head gasket was re-installing, disassembled manifold part with carburetor was placed at a room. As I can remember its position was altered to scratch corrosion on exhaust manifold. I applied anti-corrosive paint on it and exposed to sunlight in different angles. So the carburetor position regularly changed.

I illustrated the present timing adjustment as below.
Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I just realized you have the timing set to 20* BTDC. That's much too far, and could be the cause of your problem. Use a timing light to set it correctly -- 5* BTDC is stock, some here prefer it at 10* BTDC. Either should be fine. But remember, the vacuum advance hose must be disconnected and plugged when you set the timing.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I do not recall a cut on the ac pulley, it is on the inner most pulley next to the markings on the timing cover. makes sure you are using the correct mark (you can verify the correct mark by pulling the #1 spark plug and set piston to top position you can see it through the spark plug hole with a flash light). than check the timing mark on the pulley, should be at "0".

the spitting out the carb could be an indication of incorrect timing, or spark plug wires installed incorrectly, verify wires go to correct spark plugs. Try and borrow or rent a timing light to properly set your timing at 10 deg BTDC. with the vac advanced on the distributor disconnected (and capped off).
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

I did changed the timing to the "10" mark. Still problem present. Now even with paddling the accelerator, spitting occurs. even with a slight advance engine stops. But this doesn't happens with the reverse gear.

Additional data:

1. I have checked the valves before head gasket installation. 2 valves did seal only when strong push applies. Others seals even without any hand push.

2. Initial bad engine repair was done by a mechanic. Engine was newly bored. I am trying to do the climbing before the bores are tempered.

3. When the initial repair is being done, clutch cable was removed and reconnected. Now the gears can be changed even without compressing the clutch. It seems clutch cable tension inappropriate.

4. PCV valve grommet is loosened.

5. A brand-new Taiwan carburetor is installed after the initial engine repair. That carburetor totally resemble the old one (outer look). Carburetor gasket was sealed with grease. Not with a gum.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

a quick test to see if uneven power from each cyclinder is the drop down test. set idle a bit high at 1000 rpm, than inturn pull each spark plug wire (careful not to get zapped), should drop idle the same amount as you pull each spark plug wire, one at a time. if pulling a spark plug wire resuts in no change in idle speed, that cylinder is not producing power. that could be bad wire or spark plug, head gasket leak, valves or rings leakig badly, bad vacuum leak in manifold that cuases lean mixture.

if all drop the same amount, that would rule out a lot of possible issues. it would man power is down on all four cyclinders, so either spark or fuel supply weak.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you again.

I have adjusted the clutch cable tension. Now the gear shifting is ok. Also the spitting through the carb is reduced. Only a few times (at the beginning and the end of running) happening. Now the car can be moved upto a distance in climbing. Now car stops when stops and restarted while climbing. And also at the extremes on uphill.

I will check the uneven power of cylinders as you advised.

When paddling the accelerator, I feel at the extremes of uphill, engine not raising as the throttle open. Could be this due to a vacuum leak at manifold or carb? Is there any test to identify an vacuum leak?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, a vac leak would make it down on power and want to stall out on hills.

several tests for vac leak: 1) inspect all vacuum lines carefully for cracks or leaks, that they are routed properly, and attached correctly at both ends. 2) with engine running (air cleaner off and any vac lines to it capped), and a tube to your ear, move the other end around the carb, carb base, the manifold gasket, all vac operated components like a doctor does with a stethoscope. you will hear a sharp hissing sound. 3) with some spray carb cleaner, engine running and air cleaner off, spray puffs of carb cleaner around various parts of the intake system. when you find the leak it will either speed up the engine (if it is flammable), or slow it down (if not flammable) when it sucks the spary into the engine. this will allow you to isolate the location of the leak. Some also use a propane torch with no flame for this test, spary raw propane around various parts of the engine (engine should speed up). 4) some people have sucess with some form of smoke generator that allows you to drift smoke to various places around the running engine. You should be able to see if smoke is getting sucked into one location.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

When I try to do the uneven power test and to pull out the spark plug wires, I got a electric shock. I handled through the rubber covering. Could be due to my contact on body?

I found the distributer arm location is now at the totally opposite side of the adjustment. (when crankshaft pulley mark is on "10").

I stupidly added some engine oil to the Idler bearings from outside. Some amount was spilled on the belt. Could this cause this timing adjustment? Timing belt is a newly installed one (one month ago).

I can remember that the camshaft couldnt turn freely by hand after its bolts were tightened at its installation.(before rocker arms are installed). Is it normal ?

Its a great service you are doing. I am doing the repair myself. There isnt any genuine mechanic nearby.
Last edited by Dumindu on Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.