Windshield and door trim removal

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Hteverow
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Windshield and door trim removal

Post by Hteverow »

Hi Everyone--

Like so many of you guys, I've got an SR5 that originally came with black trim surrounding the windshield and on the gutters where you'd attach a roof rack, but the finish on the trim is peeling in a bad way, exposing shiny metal that scratches incredibly easily.

I'd like to know the best way to remove this trim so that I can sand it and paint it, and make Master Yota look like a solid ten once more.

Does anyone here have experience with that? What tools and replacement stuff will I need before embarking upon this project?

And, as a bonus extra question: can anyone help me out with refinishing my front and back bumpers? I have that Turtle Wax stuff for the side bumpers that say SR5 to make them look like new, but that's not cutting it on the front and rear bumpers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Windshield and door trim removal

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Instead of attempting to remove the trim, just remove the coating.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2438&hilit=trim
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11189&hilit=trim
Painting the bumpers is also covered above.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the trim around the windshield is held on with plastic clips. you just gently tug on them and they pop off, use of a plastic putty knife is helpful. one caveat is that being 30 plus year old plastic they may be brittle and break.

once off they are easy to sand and repaint.

If I break any clips I will use polyurethane construction adhesive to hold it in place.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Hteverow
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Hteverow »

Ah, very helpful. Wouldn't be a problem to mask off and paint right on the car, but I'd rather remove it just for my own peace of mind. If anyone is curious, I found that I got incredible results by wetsanding my bumper with 600 grit, and then applying this Turtle Wax plastic trim restorer stuff--it's totally clear and turns grey, old, fading plastic trim back to its original shiny black. It looks great, and I'll do the same treatment to the rear bumper now. I think I'll probably have to paint the windshield and rain gutter trim, though.